Chrome Preservation

I just searched the archives for Chrome Preservation and similar, but did not find, nor can I recall reading much on the topic

I live in a salty air ocean side environment which is hell on all metals

Over the years, I have tried a few things to slow pitting on chrome

1. regular applications of WD40 or similar…but you need to do it very often

2. smear Vaseline on it, which is very effective, but attracts dust

For storing parts long tem, a waxol style product is best

Interested to hear what others do

tony,
what coastal area are you

Ocean st

I can see the Pacific from my window

I am in the Hunter Jag Club, so you may know some of its members

It seems I always end up with vehicles that have spent their entire lives on the coast

According to the PO, I am the 4th owner of my 420G, which I believe has been in my suburb its entire life, it just popped up cheap one day 23yrs ago, 2 mins walk down the street, had been mainly parked up in a fellows garage, it was his uncles before that, who bought it from the original owner.

I had to replace the cylinder head, the chrome is generally good, but original, its a battle keeping it good

i went to the 40th anniversary day this year for your club with the Sydney JDC. bit of a damp day but still good, i’m on the same war path about chrome pitting & still haven’t found the ultimate answer

I lived in La Jolla, California for twenty years. One of the most corrosive environments on the planet.

I’ve always used carnuba car wax on the chrome. Seems to have kept the chrome on my MKII well preserved:

A good cleaner wax twice a year should take care of the chrome.
I can remember when people would wash their cars by hand on the weekends and then hand wax their entire cars every few months. No so in the throw away world of today.
Living with a vintage Jag requires that you do maintenance on the chrome,paint,leather,and wood.
Also requires that you actually drive the car for an hour at least once a month.
The cost of membership into the Vintage Jag World is High in terms of time and effort.
Ah, the price of being unique….

1 Like

I’ve used Zaino on chrome successfully. I don’t like wax much because it’s greasy and leaves fingerprints. I suspect the new ceramic coatings would work great too.

Tony, I have always used Flitz Chrome Polish, it will actually remove light rust if you work on it a little, Jim.

1 Like

Have you tried automotive wax? As others, that’s what I use & I’m coastal New England US of A.

Thor,
club membership is cheap here in AUS/ i still hand wash and polish, better clarify that…i’m talking about cars…we have our share of toxic atmospheres here as well.

Not carnauba wax, have no experience with it on pitting chrome but I use it for my paint and windshield (have RainX too, but the wax smooths out the scratches a little).

1 Like

How about a light layer of lithium spray lubricating grease which would prolly not be hazy or attract too much dirt? If you can’t fix something with duct tape or WD-40; why bother!

We don’t want grease, real hassle and everything goes sticky, tried spray wax, bad idea. Wd40 or wax probably the best.
What about clearcoat? If it can be removed chemically without harm - can it? - worth a shot or bad idea?

1 Like

I bet a spray can of clear coat could easily be removed with paint thinner at a later date.

It may not last forever but I think it’s a good idea especially if rust is already showing through :thinking: