Churchill tool JD6A

Hi all very good evening just a tool talk on compression tool

spring plate …… The tool setup by the manual is this way …. I wasn’t feeling comfortable I said no myself & my father had a banter I said look I don’t feel comfortable the way it says by the Manuel doing this … because when the tool plate was turned the other way she griped into the coil plate much better fixture & it worried without any fear…… I said forget the bloody manual I know I can understand that at a distance point…. just here me out &
look at the eye job in hand
you know on the plate the deep end coil spring tool has a better fixture Mounted….
… we got heated up the 2 of us only talking
…. Only a bit of banter & directed talking…
that can happen……
part of good human character….
I’m convinced
I must do a jag forum Up on my page on this ……
because if
someone followed them Manuels are only for the XJ6 series in my personal opinion……
with this tool the plate
way ….
This guy did it on a Jag Mk2…
I said to my father look this will give way the way you are going at it ,
just watch this look underneath & tell me ……
it worked , worked
out better
more comfortable because of the fixture in the coil plate….
Also less stress on the tool….
But I can tell you something
this is a bloody accident waiting to happen …. If folks follow this Manuel for the early cars…… on it ….
….
you’d want to be years at it tho :wink:……
….
Sure I was thought by the best you know doing many big jobs …. Very Good life long friend of mine garage four man in my grandfathers garage…. 30+ years with the company……. I gained so
Much experiences using the hand feeler gauges also…
……
Keep it simple
… on the XJ6 series cars flip up the plate the other way doing the coil springs ……
I see no problem then on the early cars flip it up again… the deep end is in the coil spring plate in the early cars ….
not the flat end
…….
I saved the loan tool from been damaged also…… there very rare hard to buy … ken Jenkins
kindly loaned it to us ……
this way by the Manuel it wasn’t
functioning correctly…….
I’ve been working on this car
19 years nearly 20 years of my life , by 2024 you know so I no it mechanical well also……. We did it anyway but tomorrow I must get longer 3/8 imperial bolts myself & dad go at the left side ………
because it will be Ideal for the plate coil spring tray line up……

1 Like

David, that is awesome! It sure is no fun task to change the springs.

Regards,
Allen

1 Like

I agree with you on the difficulties of using the Churchill tool, which is why I use threaded rod, as shown in attached picture

each rod need only be 30cm long, so doing the spring removal in the vehicle is quite easy

1 Like

I used a combination of a knock off Churchill tool and high tensile studs. I don’t know that any of us necessarily like the FOM method.

1 Like

Yes I use the stud way , and a 12mm threaded rod through the middle , just in case :thinking: