Cleaning up wire spaghetti to install new radio

Trying to identify all the wiring to find power supply (switched and unswitched) to install retro sound in S3. Can you identify these?

Relay mounted on top right side of transmission tunnel

Plugs (unused) that look like factory

Plug into your fuse box, it is right there. Do you need a schematic?

Thanks. No. I have good wiring diagram but it doesn’t tell me what these plugs are for. And I’m having trouble identifying the function of the relay.

Someone with a Series III can verify this, but the plugs in your last picture don’t look factory to me. There is certainly nothing like them in either Series II I’ve owned.

That is the relay for the factory installed Sequential Seat Belt Control Unit. If functional, the circuit requires the seat belts to be latched on each occupied seat before the engine will start. Uses sensors under each bucket seat, wiring within the seat belt strap, buzzer, a light on the dashboard, and needs the Sequential Seat Belt Control Unit (don’t know where that is).

On the wiring diagram it is #227 – in the upper left hand corner of the diagram just right of and below the starter and battery symbols and left of the tall slender Sequential Seat Belt Control Unit itself. All the symbols in that neighborhood numbered 198 and above are part of the system.

EDIT - if you start to strip these wires out as unnecessary, be careful. The cigar lighter wiring and (I think) the light for the emergency brake also run along the top of trans tunnel.

1 Like

Hi John. Right. Not on my series 2 either.

The top most plug in your last picture with 4 pins(2 male - 2 female) look like the mate to the speaker plug coming out of my factory BLM007 am\fm stereo radio. The other 2 plugs could possibly be for the power and the automatic antenna. You’d really have to check that out since I’m not certain on the other 2 plugs.

Ha! That makes sense. I will look for the other ends near the speakers the PO apparently ran new, separate wires to the speakers. Thanks!