Clicking or thumping from rear S2 Coupe

Having reread your original post, you have a noise that starts when you apply the brakes after the car is hot and seems proportional in frequency to road speed.

I’d be looking at the brakes, especially the pads.

…an unexpected plus of that conversion!

Andrew, It also only happens with light pedal pressure like when you are slowing down, with more firm pedal pressure when coming to a full stop, the noise goes away.

I did inspect the brake pads and they appear to be attached to their backing plates and the pins are all in place. I didn’t actually remove them so I’ll have to do that now for a closer inspection. Thanks for the input.

as long as you are about to get dirty, just walk around the car and grab each tire near the top and shake it, make sure you don’t have a wobble in the hub or suspension

Well my thumping turned out to be the drive shaft hitting the tunnel. Medatronic supplies a new drive shaft with their 5 speeds but it’s 2.5 inches in diameter. The stock one is 1 7/8", a substantial difference in a very small tunnel, in particular the indentation for the parking brake handle. Moved the rear of the engine over by 1/4" and things have gone quiet.

4 Likes

good for you. You’d think they might have thought of that…

Good to hear, I hope mine turns out to be that easy. Have not had a chance to get back to it yet but will advise when I find the problem.