Clock remote mounting

Had a clock rebuild done by Mike Eck. Clock finally works again!

While setting up the time with the remote which hangs behind the dash, I noticed the remote actually has threads and a nut/escutcheon on the side you set the clock with. So it looks like it actually mounts somewhere, but I looked around and can’t find any place. Anyone know?

On my Series I there’s a mounting hole for the clock cable near the bottom of the tachometer and next to the heater controls - it can be seen in this pic (photo courtesy of XKEdata):

Gary, that’s not the correct mounting spot, and I’m wondering why someone (previous owner I presume?) would drill a hole through the dash panel when the proper spot is easy to use and doesn’t put such a bend in the cable like this one would.

Brandon, check out the following thread. In the last post, John has pictures of the mounting position on the under-dash Hardura panel.

Yet another interesting discovery! Looking at this a bit more it seems the mounting location depends on when car was built. Mine is a late '67 (July build) and here’s another one around the same date from XKEdata showing the same location as on mine:

Obviously, on the earlier cars the clock adjuster was, indeed, not mounted in this location but on the underdash hardura as per John’s '63 3.8L car. Quite likely that’s where it will be on the OP’s car.

Brandon,

Please edit your profile and complete the “My Cars” section so that we know what year and model E-Type you have. Jaguar changed a lot of such minor things over the years, so it is often important to know.

It’s on the right side of the steering column approximately like the trip set is located on the left side. It’s not in the Hardura, it’s through the vinyl covered metal panel. You push up (in) and turn to adjust the clock. Mines’ a '66 FHC

Done - 66 4.2 OTS

I definitely don’t have anything on the dash. I’ll take a look under. I looked all around right next to the vent knob/panel for a hole, so maybe I’m missing a piece of trim underneath.

Brandon

Since we both have '66s, I did you a favor.

For the curious, that is a non-clicking LED flasher in the hazard cluster from www.SuperBrightLEDs.com

Interesting, and I apologize for being wrong. But your pictures got me intrigued so I spent time looking through some originality books, parts manual, diagrams on SNGB, and the Factory Fit thread on the UK E Type forum and I haven’t found a single reference or photo that show the same as yours or that other photo. I wonder why Jag would make that change so shortly before the dash changes on the Series 1.5? Perhaps it was deemed a leg puncture hazard and this was a quick fix before switching the clock out of the tach?

IMO they wouldn’t have, and if for no other reason because it’s so ugly. The dash was designed for function and style, just like the rest of the car. This knob under the dash fits the formula, through the dash is totally out of character.

Doing more of what Gary did, I went looking through a bunch of cars on XKEData and it appears that the clock reset moved onto the dash starting with production about 4 July 1967 (nice coincidence) and continued only a few weeks, as cars built near the end of the first week in August went to the new dash configuration with rockers. It also seems only LHD cars, as it looks like RHD were unchanged.

So, it does indeed appear that Jaguar made this change and it wasn’t something done by a prior owner. The mystery is why do this for only a few weeks of production?

If true, and I’m not doubting you, I stand corrected. But, it’s still ugly.

Here’s a theory off the top of my head. The MY68 S1.5 toggle switch cars that were to immediately follow the cars in question have remote control air vents. The knob for the driver side air vent on LHD cars is on the dash to the right and below the center of the Tacho. The factory had already started making the panels for the speedo/tacho with the hole for the air vent control when they found they had to make a few more of the MY67 cars. The only speedo/tacho panels they had in stock had this extra hole for the MY68 cars. So, some smart Alec said “why not put the clock remote reset” in that hole for these last few cars and save ourselves having to make a few more of the old style ones?.. Plausible?

Well looks like I don’t have either cover – which explains why I couldn’t figure out where it went.

IMG_2598 copy

Anyone know a source for these panels? I assume the knob on the left is for the odometer – which I don’t even have a cable for…

And by knob on the left, I mean the one shown in the panel on thelews 66.