Cloth Interior XJ6C 1975 ....... Original?

Obviously a 4x4 drive used for hauling wood to the cabin in the mountains;-)

Hmmm … I’d probably take some time just to figure out what else has been modified before planning what to keep and what to “restore” . If there is a V8 in the front it might be the PO hijacked the rear end just to compensate. The low ratio tires don’t really add to the looks IMHO.

Removing leaper, wheel arch chrome and US bumpers would be a good starting point. Then get yourself nice Kent or Starfish wheels with halfway decent tires, get the front down (weaker springs), straighten out the rear end and it is a remarkable car and the cloth seats will only add to the spirit.

Good luck with this beauty

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

‘Yikes’ it is, Nick - but at least it seems easily restored. But Jochen has a point; to increase road clearance for ‘rustic’ roads - he seems also to have increased the front, check? It would make some sense…

But it looks weird…what tyre dimensions are fitted…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

BTW, as a quick thank you to all. I appreciate all the feedback (and knowledge) from the forum. The more folks that respond (on any subject) the more shared info that helps us all.

Nick
1975 Jaguar XJ6C
(of dubious origin)

That has the potential to be a really nice car if you were to “bite the bullet” and do it properly. Unfortunately, would cost, in both time and money, but it sounds like you might be capable, even if not inclined :blush:

As kevin said worth restoring as xjc are rare and yours looks like it could be a nice example.

First sort out suspension ride height. The front may be higher if the v8 is lighter and the po just compensated the rear. It looks much better at standard height

2 Check and sort out rust issues

3 Sort out external paint and fittings

4 clean the interior fot the time being maybe dyeing the piping

5 drive and enjoy while sorting out the rest to your preference

There’s another Dralon interior coupe for sale in the classifieds - exactly like my Black DD6 interior and yours. Including the headrests.

Yes, except for the two tone piping. I guess it could have been a special order, but pleats are also very narrow, whereas didn’t the coupes have wider more Daimler style pleats? Like the one in classifieds?

PeterCrespin,

Thanks this really does look identical to mine, though my original owner pressed the ugly button by getting the white piping. Though it might have been added later it looks very original.
I’ve already replaced the seats with the red leather from the parts car. Considering if the red console will fit? Not exact but since this is not a restoration…

Thanks for the feedback Peter.

Nick Nicaise
Catonsville, MD

Is this where we list the cars we currently own?

1975 Jaguar XJ6C
1990 BMW 735i RHD
2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS
1936 Chevy
1939 Ford Coupe
1979 Honda CBX
2010 Triumph Bonneville

Might need to do a bit of re-wiring.

Start with unwiring!!!

1 Like

I hope the PO doing that crows nest used original wire colors, John…

And the intent was ‘what’ and ‘why’…:slight_smile:

Frank

It’s somewhat hard to tell from the pic, but the crow’s nest seems to start with an original relay in the wrong place. Or am I just looking at it in a wrong way? Anyhow, what does the relay do?

Good luck

Jochen

Jochen,

Great question. But this picture is only a smidgen of the wiring issues under the hood. But to recap, this car has a 1980 Chevrolet 350ci engine installed. It looks like it was done very, very quickly (and poorly) without regard to, well, anything. As other folks talk about getting this back to original, I am afraid that ship has sailed. My goal is to get this car to be something that is fun to drive, it and, hopefully, will handle like a 45 year old car should and make it, dare I say, attractive.

I think I will start a new tread so everyone car see what I am starting with. My goal is to make it something I enjoy driving. Which really is what our hobby is about.

Nick Nicaise
Catonsville, MD

Is this where we list the cars we currently own?

1975 Jaguar XJ6C
1990 BMW 735i RHD
2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS
1936 Chevy
1939 Ford Coupe
1979 Honda CBX
2010 Triumph Bonneville

Which imply that the wiring etc is related to electric differences between the xk original wiring and the lump, Nick…

Which is little help, but if the original (car) wiring can be identified it may give some clue - both where shown and elsewhere…?

And one can always disconnect a wire - and see what stops functioning…:slight_smile:

Frank

Nick,

as much as I can see your point I’d just throw in that this kind of lump - not talking about any lump, but just the kind you present yours - is well able to get you into psycho therapy. Until you had it all apart and know just about every (new) wire, you’ll never know what’s going on if anything is going wrong. And there will be as many things going wrong as in “Poltergeist”, I’m afraid …

Restoring might prove an easier way, preferably with a full donor car. With a rusty hull in sedan guise the parts might be not overly expensive. Aren’t you close to David Boger anyhow? He can just get you all you need.

For me the real point of no return would be serious metal injury to the body (floor pan, bulk head etc.) done to accommodate the “new” engine and its ancillaries. That would be really costly to return to original. If the body is sound you can throw in a new engine + ancillaries + wiring loom in two week ends.

Just my two pence …

Whatever you do - enjoy the car

Jochen

Hi,

You can fill in things under your “profile”, like this one:

My Cars

Cheers!

PS. Nope I don’t think there’s a separate field for motorcycles, so you can just add them there, there is a separate forum for motorcycle talk however.

PS.2. For some of us the “Jaguar” starts with a Jaguar motor, they made some great ones, that won at Le Mans and elsewhere. :wink:

That silver item is the headlight relay. Schematics online, probably best to understand what was done and why before tearing into it.
It should be further aft, where is the fuse box?