Cloth tape on wiring harness

The wiring on my '38 SS is all wrapped in black cloth tape, not a woven sleeve like on my Mark V and XK120. Is this stuff original?

I remember my dad used this stuff in wiring our house when I was a kid, but I haven’t seen it used by electricians in decades. It looks like hockey stick tape.

Hi Rob,

When I bought my car it didn’t have any original wiring so all I can offer is a couple of photos from other unrestored all steel SS Jaguars.

Peter

Often referred to as “friction tape.”

Rob

The stuff used around the edge of the lenses on your P100s Perhaps where the expression ’ the right stuff’ originated.

Ok, hockey stick friction tape it is.

It looks to me like it is probably original, but I thought it can’t hurt to ask.
Just a couple of places where there are extra wires in the wrapped harness but not on the wiring diagram so I wondered. If it was not original, somebody did a good job adding those wires.
Turns out it was easy enough to find; WalMart was sold out in their sporting goods aisle, but Menard’s carries it in their electrical tape aisle, apparently electricians still use it for some outdoor work. Hockey players like it because it gives more friction to keep the puck from sliding off the end of their sticks.
I don’t see any inside my P100s, just a rubber ring, but I did not take the glass out to see in there. Is it wrapped around the edge of the glass as a padding? If so, it might be a good idea for my rear lenses as well.
It was invented back in the 1800s for underwater telegraph cables. Vinyl tape was invented in the late 1940s.
The word stuff dates from the 1600s and in those days meant woven cloth.