Clutch engages/ disengages close to floor

Hmmmm. If that slave cylinder is now the right way up, it has the bleed nipple pointing down. I have it pointing up in my car. In other words the feed pipe (from the master cylinder) loops round the slave cylinder to feed into the low side. This makes bleeding both easier (air in the system rises) and a pain in the @rse, the nipple is tucked up into the tunnel. I had to modify a spanner to fit the bleed nipple.

Craig, thank you for ‘flippin’ the photo! In the ‘old days’ I used to attempt rebuilding brake and clutch cylinders. What I found was that the inside bore was usually worn and it made more sense to ship them to White Post for a rebuild/resleeve. However, these days, new clutch slaves are readily available and affordable. So I ordered a new 95mm slave, the ‘kit’ for mounting it (pushrod, etc), and a new spring. I haven’t heard back from shop admin as to yes/no a new unit was fitted, so I’m just assuming not. They have detailed invoicing systems and I can’t see them not billing me for the part or time to do that. Not leaking any fluid, no drips on the floor ‘diaper’ and fluid reservoir is right where it needs to be. Appt. is June 15, so will report as to outcome. Thank you all!

Today was “shop” day, so fired the old boy up, idled him a bit and then put him in reverse and ground the gears. Pumped up the pedal a bit and got in reverse. Double clutched all the way to the shop, not far, about 20 minutes. The clutch slave I photographed above is the one that went in about 25 years ago, not replaced when other clutch work was done. Shop has all the parts, and also asked for brake flush and bleed.

July 6 update: got the car back today, with a MUCH improved clutch feel. Not sure if it was the new Clutch Slave or the new spring or the new pushrod assembly or the fluid flush/bleed, but its back to the way it was. Shifted smoothly and crisply. Also put a new spare tire on to match the 205s and saved the seemingly never used original 185 Dunlop Sport spare ( at 53 years old, still has the mold hairs on it), brakes flushed and bled and had a new Stainless fuel pick up sock filter put in the tank. Hope the car is good for awhile, my checkbook is now sorely depleted.

It’s an A/C drainage tube.

That would fit, car has factory air, though I’ve never used it. If it’s hot enough to need air, that old boy stays home in the shade.