Clutch Kit Question

I am to the point of buying a clutch kit to complete the engine, clutch, and gearbox assembly on my E. It is a very early 4.2 - 1E 10528, built in January 1965. It had a 10" coil spring clutch cover, with two dowel pins, from a 3.8. (I have found MANY left over 3.8 parts on the car.) The flywheel is drilled for both the two dowel 10" 3.8 and three dowel 9.5" 4.2 clutch assemblies. Is there any reason to use one kit or the other in the car?

A related question. The body is on a lift. I will be lowering the body onto the engine. Can I bolt up the front two engine mounts and the rear engine mount and then raise the body and engine and then secure the gearbox mount? Or do I need to support the engine and gearbox when I raise the car to attach the gearbox mount?

thanks,
Dave Christensen

The car would originally have had the 10" Laycock Diaphragm clutch which is no longer available. Of the two available choices, the 9.5" B&B Diaphragm clutch is reputedly less heavy to operate. Whichever option you choose, you need to have all components (Pressure Plate, Driven Disk, Release Bearing) from the same set for compatibility.

No. The “rear engine mount” is not an engine mount. It is a stabilizer and cannot take the weight of the engine. You must install the gearbox mount with the front engine mounts before removing any supports.

1 Like