Clutch noise problem

In the restoration of my 1967 ots a new clutch was installed and the engine was installed into the car. The problem now is when the clutch is depressed all the way to the floor a noise is found inside the bell housing and the shop is getting ready to take the bell housing off without removing the engine and examine for the noise. Does anyone have any suggestions what the problem might be. The shop said that they have adjusted the clutch slave.

I would appreciate any ideas

Steve Wissink

My guess would be they installed the wrong throwout bearing…

I’d LOVE to hear how they plan to “take the bell housing off without removing the engine”, since that is NOT possible, without cutting into the cars structure. Those words would scare the hell out of me…

Regards,
Ray L.

3 Likes

It worries me also. The car was completely disassembled glass blasted and then reassembled. T wiuld hate to see anything damaged,

My guess would be they installed the wrong throwout bearing…

So the motor and the bell housing would need to be removed??

Steve Wissink

ANY repair requiring direct access to the clutch requires removal of the engine/gearbox. Why didn’t they check the clutch operation before re-installing it? It’s easy enough to do…

Regards,
Ray L.

ANY repair requiring direct access to the clutch requires removal of the engine/gearbox. Why didn’t they check the clutch operation before re-installing it? It’s easy enough to do…

Ray, I have no idea why that was not done, The project has been very frustrating and now this.
Thanks Ray,

Steve Wissink

The are two holes in and near the bottom of the bell housing that do give some visibility of the release bearing.