Shucks! I cannot find the thread that gave me this idea including the p/n for the Isuzu repair kit to repair the E-Type S-1 clutch slave cylinders. If someone knows it, please link it here?
My solution to the slave cylinder was to buy the cheap one from SNGB. I know, I know, the better one comes from England, but they get it from China anyway. Regardless I bought it with the intent to replace the piston and cup style found in the original E-type with a more modern piston with integral seal. So I made that swap today. The kit I bought was from Rock Auto WK124280 for $8.45. With shipping it was $13.28. Can’t beat that! Here is the box label.
It is very easy. To make this modification. First I traded out the metric bleeder valve for the original. Threads are the same, but the nut was 10mm on the metric.
I then used the air gun set at 5 psig to blow the piston out of the aftermarket Jag cylinder. Put a rag over the end so it will catch the piston. DO NOT use high pressure.
Here’s the piston that came out. It is the Jag cup style.
Comparing that to the Isuzu piston from the rebuild kit. And I then swapped the spring from the Jag part (I know…don’t give me any grief about using the spring!)
Here is the comparison between an original and the SNGB cylinder with the Japanese piston in it.
And the newly reconfigured clutch slave cylinder with the push rod in place. It was interesting to note that when I pushed the rod in, that weak spring did push it back out (but not so much as to eject the piston).
Finally it is installed in the car. Note I’m swapping the bleed valve to be on the upper side of the slave cylinder. The bleed valve is accessible from the top but I will also bend a wrench to turn it from under the car. It just doesn’t make much sense to me to have a bleed valve on the bottom that allows an air bubble to float upwards while bleeding the cylinder. (I have to attribute this idea to @Dick_Maury .) The pipe shown is a test sample I’ll use to get the configuration correct.
And there you have it. Out of all the projects I’ve done on this car that have taken excruciating amounts of time to complete. This took about 15 minutes from swapping the pistons to installing the slave cylinder. Yeah for once!!