Code 89 '90 xj-40

Hi, I have a xj-40 I ran it last night no problem for 15-20 minutes. This AM it started right up. I backed out of driveway and it acted a little funny then died. It will not restart. On occasion it does fire. It says fuel fail code 89.
I am wondering if this is really it?
I am in Wisconsin and it was down in the teens this AM. Still only about 20
I am wondering if it could be something with the cold weather. Any ideas?

I did see something that says it should make a click when turn the key. I do heat a click in its area then I turn it over but not in the first position.
When I turn it on I do not hear fuel pump, but a brand new one. Thinking could be full and up to pressure or a froze line. Could that be it as well?

I normally do not even drive in winter, however last night had a caliper sees up o m y main car.

Any help would be appreciated! I am not much of a mechanic. Thank you!

Code 89 indicates a problem with the purge valve or its circuit.

I suppose the easiest check is on the purge valve itself , using the following procedure.

• Disconnect the purge hose at the intake manifold adaptor
  • Switch ignition on but do NOT start the engine
  • Apply vacuum to purge hose: vacuum should hold.
    If vacuum doesn’t hold the purge valve is stuck and should be replaced
  • Switch ignition off; vacuum should release after a few seconds.
    If vacuum does not release, the purge valve is stuck and should be replaced.

Another possibility. On '90 - '92 cars, intermittent faults can be caused by loose terminal pins in the yellow connector located below the air cleaner housing. Can sometimes be cured by bending the pins to make better contact.

thank you I will check that out!