Coil Relocation

Fellow xj-Lovers,

I have relocated the coil on my 4.2 SIII after going through Alex Cannara’s pictures.
jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1091782279&n4=
After realizing that doing it his way (relocating pretty much everything) was a lot of work, I decided to just move the coil and nothing else for now. The wiring loom is suspect anyway, but as long as it works…

So what I found was a relatively convenient location just below the intake filter where the coil can be positioned using the factory coil clamp and without changing any wires. It should be a bit cooler down there and engine vibrations (yes, my idle is still way too rough and I’m still not sure why that is) are not present there.
The empty space where the coil used to be ist now occupied by the extra air valve (not everyone had one, it just adds air to smooth out A/C operation impact on rpm), and yes, I still want to replace the wiring and maybe the hoses to the air valve.
I used an existing hole. One will need to be drilled.
Apart from that it looks neat and was easy, so I decided to share it.

If you have any worries, please do tell me. I can’t think of any, and it can be easily undone anyway.

David

Why did’nt you place it next to the air cleaner, it would get much more air flow.

Walter

I would have had to elongate all wiring to the coil and route it around the filter can. If we’re thinking of the same location, the white plastic plugs looked very promising… However, I doubt that the location would be much cooler, as air can come in via the gap between fender and radiator, even though there might be additional heat shielding because of the filter can. I guess its not that much of a difference though and the coil survived on top of the engine for a long time, so it shouldn’t be too horrible anyway :slightly_smiling_face:

David