[collectibles] Paul Borel XK120FHC model

I have recently acquired a fabulous, 18 inch long Paul Borel
model. I’d like to find more information about these rarities, or,
ideally, to be able to find Mr. Borel. Can anyone help?

JD–
JohnnyD
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

In reply to a message from JohnnyD sent Tue 4 Mar 2008:

XK120 FIXED HEAD COUPE � SCARCE LINE MODELS BY PAUL BOREL (master
model builder from Hollywood, California). The 18-inch long static
(non-rolling) model is a molded resin finished kit done in the
1980s. The body is patterned from a Doepke Jaguar convertible and
the roof is made to match the real car. Only 8 of these kits were
sold. The resin interior has a simulated burl wood dash, with left
hand drive. The detailed ‘‘Dunlop’’ tires, the wheels and bumpers are
all resin. There are plastic windows throughout. The undercarriage
is stamped with the Jaguar designation and Paul Borel’s name. The
undercarriage can be unscrewed to access the interior. 5 pages of
detailed instructions came with the car originally. My particular
version (built) is Ref PB3-#2 (2nd model produced), 1/10 scale,
Resin, USA

I have some photos posted at www.marsland.on.ca/obsession in the
Jaguar Automobilia tab, chapter 7 section

Cheers, Brad–
1952 XK120 FHC, 1963 E-type FHC, 1988 XKS Coupe, 2003 XJR
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

I have an address for one Paul Borel on Berindo St in Hollywood (Mid 50s) I wonder if this is the same person. does the Jag model instructions have any info that may confirm this?

Hello Tom,

Gosh, it’s been a while since I’ve pursued this! Thank you for b being in touch.

I did reach Mr. Borel’s son, also named Paul, almost three years ago. I was referred to him by a vintage toy dealer who somehow knew of the connection. We exchanged emails, in which he told me of his his father’s skill, and that he had moved “back ease” and passed away many years ago. Young Paul had no information on these models, and was seemingly thrilled to see the photos of my model number 7. He didn’t offer his home address, but It’s likely the Hollywood address that you referred to. The address on the instruction sheets is a Hollywood P.O. box, so I have no prior reference to the street. I’m aware of only two of the models, one built (see www.marsland.on.ca/obsession) and mine, which is unbuilt. If you haven’t seen my photos, I’ll be glad to send them to you.

It’s been a very long time since I participated in the Jag-Lovers forum, but I still have my 45,000 mile unrestored XK120FHC and the Borel model, as well as the XK150OTS that’s been with me for 25+ years.

Best regards,

John Darack

Wayland, MA

The address I have is in the 500 block of Berendo St. Hollywood. I spoke to Paul in the 80s re a Swallow Dorretti he bought new.He had done quite a bit of research on the cars. Our conversation was short. He stated he had 2 of the cars and had sold them to someone in Shrilanka. His research and collection of other known owners at the time was sent to Arthur Andersen of Terrence California and Frank Rainbow the cars designer in England. He stated he had kept nothing and had nothing to offer me for my research. One of the cars I know survives in Europe and a gaggle of his info has survived with it. It has provided me with some interesting early history on the cars development as one piece was a transcribed phone conversation with Arthur Andersen that solved some questions I had. Andersen and his daughter Dorothy Deen were primarily responsible for the cars development and got the first lot of the production of which the first 80 or same came to the USA.
Frank Rainbow worked for Swallow coach builders Lyons initial sidecar company he sold to Tube investments.The demise of production after about 276 cars were built
Is generally attributed to Jaguar professing a conflict of interest with TI supplying the auto industry with steel etc and venturing into auto building in competition with their customers.

A simple google search “doretti 1042” will steer you to Paul’s Doretti. If you can pass this on to the son or send his contact info. It would be of interest if he had any early pics of the car. Possibly a pic of the second car which I have nothing on but his dad telling me the chassis number.

I didn’t know Paul was a model maker. Interesting as I have done several scales of the Doretti years back before the pros got to them. I’ll send some pics when I get to my other computer.

Tom Householder
Doretti Vehicle Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register
USA

Lancaster, Ohio

I assume at this time we are discussing the same Paul…

---- JohnnyD noreply@jag-lovers.com wrote:

Tom,

I’ve found my email correspondence with Mr. Borel’s son. I’m reluctant to share his contact information through the Jag-lovers Forum and have it widely disseminated without his knowledge. If you will contact me on a one-on-one basis I will send it to you. My email is dpisland@gmail.com.

Best regards,

John

Paul Borel was truly one of the great XK historians on a great number of fields before the fax machine and the web I had tried to find him 20 plus years ago no success there was a story that a lockup he had in LA the contents were sold of. Some years ago one of his models either SS100 or XK was advertised on EBay I will have saved the pics.

John Darack dpisland@gmail.com
5:39 PM (9 minutes ago)

to Jag-lovers

Terry,

I just unearthed this old message . . . Regarding the eBay Paul Borel XK model, that is likely the one I bought on eBay sometime in 2008 or '09. I still have it in unbuilt condition. Every now and then I jump back into research mode, but generally come up with similar disappointing results. If I have not done so in the past, I’ll be glad to send you photos.

I seldom look at the Forum these days, so it’s best to contact me directly at dpisland@gmail.com

Best regards,
John Darack
Wayland, MA USA

Paul Borel now there’s a name !

Paul Borel now there’s a name ! Doretti’s and Jaguars!!

I spoke to Borel in my early years he had 2 Doretti cars . He sold them to Shrilanka era 70s if I recall correctly. One survives in Europe chassis 1103 has not surfaced . He is the model guy. I believe info on it is on line. I communicated with a son at one time I think. Berindo street is the correct address for him. Borel had passed on his research when I spoke to him and had not much more than the sale of his cars to offer me. Some of it has survived though.

1292 is the chassis number I believe you have info on please confirm . I am trying to connect it to Richard Howard formerly of Perth and Singapore where his car originally sold. I would like a scan of the plate to confirm it. and any history on how it was separated from the car. and it’s demise. 1292 does not survive in anyones records. Original engine number recorded on the plate is of interest. Last info on Howard’s car is for sale at Performance cars in Perth November of 1958

This is a recent post of the English Register’s information on the cars. Some of the info is not updated and is missing considerable info I have collected.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16n_mTrRQTCGcNdYBgt4ZA_ga8EHVmulv6yb4rmASIwE/edit#gid=0

My mistake . Chassis 1192 is the car I believe you have info on . 1292 is a car I spent 4 years consulting on it’s restoration and is currently for sale in Europe.

Why do you think its 1192
I have a photo of the Singapore car with its Singapore plate on it just after it arrived late 1950’s
There have been up to 6 Dorretis in WA over the years.
Have some photos of a few
Terry

Terry,

I think your recent messages were sent to me in error. I am interested in Paul Borel’s “Scarce Line Models” model of an XK120FHC, but have no interest in his involvement with Doretti cars.

Best regards,
John Darack