Color change XKE 2+2 1966

Hello all… am new to this forum.

Just wanted to ask…will i really devalue my car if i change the color from the original primrose yellow.

Welcome to the forum.

Depends on who you ask. The purists will say yes, but I suggest otherwise.

This triple black E-type, that sold for $467,500 and set an auction record a few years ago started out primrose.

http://www.sothebys.com/content/dam/stb/lots/N09/N09045/NY13_r118_001.jpg

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/automobiles-rm-auctions-in-association-with-sothebys-n09045/lot.138.html

While I retained the factory original BRG on my E it was only because I like the colour. I have repainted my 120 the exact same, though it started life pastel green. I doubt very much the change will negatively affect its value. The opposite, I expect.

I agree - if done well then it doesn’t have much or any effect on value. The exception might be a truly rare car (such as one of the very early examples).

Now if you just paint the body and leave the engine bay original color or Krylon black then yeah, that will have less appeal.

PS - Welcome to the J-L.

Yes, indeed welcome. IMO, if you are painting it for your future enjoyment you should paint it, or have it painted, the color you would like it to be.

1 Like

I don’t believe you’ll devalue your car but maybe the marketability. I believe that other colors : red, black, blue, brg may have a wider appeal .
OTOH if a buyer is in the market for that particular color you may have an advantage…

thank you guys for ure thoughts

FWIW, Primrose does not disappoint …

Agreed. The E wears primrose well in my estimation. It all goes to a matter of taste.

A key consideration is the difficulty to effect a total, absolute colour change, to which Geo alludes. Not for the faint of heart.

True, a roadster in primrose with a black interior and top is what I’d have if I had an OTS.

I would stick with one of the factory colors offered for the year of manufacture. Otherwise, no problem.

Same question I asked myself when I got my sII Primrose (not my favorite color).

Your answer depends on many factors. Do you plan on keeping everything else stock/original? Will you use it as a driver or trailer queen? Do you want to drive the wheels off it at the local autocross, or will it sit on a shelf where you can dust it every week?

These are the kinds of questions you need to address first.

LLoyd

Wherever space and time interact, there is information, and wherever information can be ordered into knowledge, and knowledge can be applied, there is intelligence.
Pavel Mirsky, mid 21st Century Russian General

My thoughts from what have seen. A color change will impact the value to some degree based on a million other factors. Generally, it’s a pretty small to negligible impact if you change to another proper color for that year/model.

My personal opinion is paint the car the color that makes you happy :slight_smile:

1 Like