Color of fender wells on S1

The JCNA guide says that the “inner fenders are black”.

If black are they supposed to be painted black on bare metal or are they back because they were painted body color but the factory put black under coating on them?

My untouched–wrt it’s underside-- Jag had undercoating all over the undersides of the fenders and underpans: for years, I never knew what the lil bumps were, under the bonnet, under the paint.

It was overspray of said undercoat.

by underpans you mean the aluminium shields? And in the inner fender well, was their color underneath the under coat?

The sheet metal under the car, sill to sill.

I do not think the undercoat was over the paint, in the fender wells: on Tweety, it was just undercoating.

Had a rectangular section of thin black paint in the area between the splash panels (diaprahms? - spelling?). Was partially covered with undercoat. These were early series II fenders. Only noticed it as I stripped them. The black was not very noticeable and quite thin. It was applied poorly as most black paint was on our cars.

My two E Types, built 2/10/62 and 7/4/63, both had body color inner fenders.
I do remember seeing a primrose XKE on the Jaguar stand at the 1967 Detroit auto show with black undercoating overspray on the lower front of the sill. I thought it pretty shoddy for a show car.

AFAIC, having the inner fenders just painted, whatever color, and not using underseal makes no sense to me, regardless of what the guide says given that in short order the paint would be stripped off from stones etc. I had the painters spray these areas with underseal after they painted them. Here’s a pic…

2 Likes

I believe that all the inner panels bolted to the engine frame, including the one piece inner fenders, each side, was painted with black lacquer, done over the metal, which was not primed first. It was single coat, unpolished so it had a semi gloss appearance. It had a dismal life expectancy. The inside of the actual fenders was undercoated, including the headlight diaphragms as was the small triangular piece that closed the rocker panel. Initially the undercoating was painted, but by early '68 at least it was no longer painted and was black.

The untouched '68 from the Queen Mary now on display at the Jag Heritage Museum supports this assertion- it has black wheel wells…

My Feb '68 FHC looks just like this too , only red/black instead of primrose/black.

David
68 E-type FHC