Coloring the Back of the Front Seats

List:

The leather seats in the 73 XJ6 are in poor condition with the seats misssing pieces of leather on the drivers seat and, of all places, the back seat. The sun and heat on this California car have kept the metal rust free but it played havoc with the leather.

My plan is to use the seats from the 71 XJ6, which are in very good condition. In 1985, I stripped the black color from them and then recolored them again to black. I was very pleased with the results, which has held up very well. My plan at the moment is to again strip the black color off the leather, and apply a new coat of “gold” color. Again, my past experience gives me confidence. However, if anyone has any thoughts on that process, please let me know.

My question is regarding the fabric on the back of the front seats. I believe that too is a black color. Has anyone removed those panels and or recolored or replaced them?? Does anyone know that the fabric is; wool, synthetic???

Thanks
Lou

Color Plus, where I bought the black dye, is still in business and I have set a piece of the current “gold” color for them to match.

My question today is regarding the front seat backs. As you know, there is cloth, perhaps wool, on the back of the front seats. The black of the back seats are a dark gray color. Does anyone know what that material is? I assume its either a wool or synthetic. Has anyone recolored that material?

The seat backs are probably wool union cloth if they have a soft, felt-like texture, and look something like this:

If you do have union cloth, it tends to become fragile over time. You may also have moquette, sort of a thin carpet-like fabric, that is more durable but probably harder to dye properly.

The seat back construction is composed of two pieces, a frame made out of hardboard, and the inset that only has a thin foam backing without any hardboard. The union cloth frame also has a foam backing so you should be aware that it may absorb dye.

Most front seats I’ve seen use the same color on the front and back.

back%20seat%20frame

Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

Gentlemen:
Today I spent time examing the construction of the replacement seats for the 73 XJ6. The original seats that came with the car are beyond repair, with multiple open cracks and a few missing pieces of leather. I guess that’s a hazard with vehicles that have lived in a warm climate. But I will take cracked leather over rust any day.

The seats I intend to use are currently black. The interior of the 73 is cinnamon. I intend to strip off the black before applying the cinnamon. The dye supplier indicated I could put the cinnamon right over the black but I prefer to start from a clean slate. I would be happy to hear other opinions.

My only concern is how to handle the wool-like material on the back of the front seats, which are also black. But in this case, I can’t think of any way strip the color. Anyone have any thoughts on that? I have an extra seat from an old parts car. I intend to experiment with that, perhaps bleaching the fabric. Has anyone had experience with the recoloring the wool-like material?

While I had the seats on the workbench, I noticed that the front seats use a large chunk of yellow foam rubber, under the leather seat bottom. And then, there is a sheet of black rubber that holds the foam in place. That black rubber is connected to the seat frame by metal hooks.

When I stuck my fingers into the yellow foam, some yellow dust cam out of the seats. The yellow foam is not a solid chunk. There are hollows in the foam, which I assume are there to give a softer feel to the seats. Has anyone replaced this foam?

Regards
Lou

Your foam has degraded and should be completely replaced.

Lou,

I have redyed the seats of several Jaguars, MB & Rolls Royces for many years. I would NOT try to remove all the “old” dye. I would instead sand the old leather enough to remove most of the dye. I would then use laquar thinner to remove what is left. If not all of the old dye is removed, that is ok. You want it to feel smooth to the touch. It will take many coats to get it right. As for the cloth on the back of the seats, you can spray the dye or use SEM fabric/vinyl spray. My local NAPA store has many colors to match the fabric. The sanding/lacquar thinner will provide perfect adhesion for the dye.

You mentioned Color-Plus. I have used them many times. They are a great company. I hope “JoAnn” is still there!

Good luck!

Richard

Richard:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. My other hobby is woodworking so I am familiar with the use of sandpaper.

I have an extra front seat from a parts car I previously had, so I will practice spraying the leather and the wool. If not, we have a NAPA store here. I will stop in to see them about the dye.

JoAnn is still with Color-Plus although she now has an assistant, Vicki. My guess is that Vicki may eventually take over the company, but that’s just a guess. I agree with you on their competency. I used them in 1985 when I respirated the seats with black. But then, I brushed on the material. I did have faint brush marks as the colorant dries quickly. So I am looking forward to spraying.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Regards

Lou

Richard:

I sent Joanne a sample of the vinyl used on the Jaguar seats, from underneath the seat. She wrote back that there were actually three different colors in the sample. The base color is a dark yellow-gold. But there also some old shaped dots of light coco and wisps light gray. Unfortunately, she only has the ability to make a single color dye.

Since you have re-dyed several high end cars, have you every come across this issue and perhaps used multiple colors in the seats?

Thanks

Lou

Lou,

I have never had this issue! Perhaps, look under the other seat or under the rear seat and see if the color is the same!

Here’s another company in Roanoke, VA that is awesome. They have the dyes already mixed and are comprehensive for EACH manufacturer! Your contact is “Shawn” who is the owner. He is likewise a great guy. I have bought numerous products and very happy!

Sorry, I don’t have an immediate answer to the “mult-colors” in your sample!

Richard

PS

Be sure to click on the sample colors chart to see if you can find “your” color.

Richard:
Thanks for directing me to the NAPA store for paint to match. I took a sample of the new seat color and they made a pint that matched perfectly in 20 minutes. The staff seemed competent and dedicated to their work, somenting you don’t always find in a auto supply store.

I think I will paint the back side of the seat, which is wool, before I paint the leather. That way, if there’s any overspray, the leather paint will cover it.

Thanks
Lou

Thanks, Lou. This is what our forum is about…helping each other!

Richard

1 Like