Colour code for XK cylinder head

Makes me glad I have an S-2.

Plus I can enjoy Thanksgiving Day pie w/o drifting off to the garage to see if it matches.

1 Like

Id like a set of those cam covers!

100 hp, just by bolting on a head?

Color me skepticalā€¦ pumpkin, of course!

Better photo. Clearly Jaguar missed a trick with its road cars - driver sitting next to engine is the way to go!

The engine is known as the J60 Mk 100B and was also used in the Alvis Sabre frankentank where they bolted a Fox armored car turret with the hull of the Scorpion. Used a single Solex carb and the Army claimed 190bhp. The distributor was screened and waterproofed. The HT leads were also waterproofed and covered with braided metal sleeving and led to military grade standard spark plugs. A revised breather system with flame traps, to protect from an engine fire, was specified by the military.

Unlike the E-Type engine, the military XK unit was given a lower compression ratio of 7.75:1 so it could run on low grade fuel. The tappets were larger than those used in normal production engines so that they could accommodate a collapsing spring and washer mechanism to ensure positive rotation of the valves, with the aim of making valve seat wear less likely. A military-grade fuel pump, on top of the engine, replaced the original unit. Surplus military specification XK engines have been converted back to original for use by some XJ racing teams.

2 Likes

Could the US have been provided with unpainted and rest-of-the-world markets with painted heads (as I think you might have suggested in a previous reply)?
I have a April '67 Series 1, delivered to the US market, with an unpainted head, a 3.31 diff, but a speedometer geared for the 3.07 gear ratio. Some intermarket mix-up?
This one https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/1967-jaguar-e-type-series-1-4-2-litre-roadster-2/ also has the unpainted head. Mine is 400 cars /1 month older (and not nearly as nice -yet).

Unpainted heads for the US market began in E-Type engines manufactured late June 1966.

Who and where are these guys (Resto Gusto), Mike? Is this what you need to race your E at Goodwood?

No sense buying just the headā€¦you need the full Monte.
Cool stuff!

I donā€™t know, but it looks interesting. All the real potential is in the head. I suspect that centralizing the head requires symmetrical pistons, so bottom end work may be required.

I recently discovered these engines at a fellow Jag owner/restorers shop. Heā€™s rebuilding several for a customer who collectsā€¦Scorpion tanks.
He showed me the larger tappets with the rotation device. The exhaust valve stem was larger diameter and we wondered if it was sodium filled. Do you know? How can we tell? Any advantage to having such a head on a road car?
Mike