Common Engine Parts Between 4.2L XKE and XJ Cars

Unfortunately my 70 Roaster project engine came missing some of the motor dressing parts and I’m wondering which of them may be common with the XJ6.
For a start I’m missing the harmonic balancer, water pump pulley, timing tab, alternator bracket , tensioner pulley and carrier.

You’re talking about a model (XJ6) with many changes over what almost 30 years? I’ve wrecked a few, and I would doubt that much of anything you need would be compatible. It would be model by model, the earliest cars being the closest. Do you want to use a 50 year old damper?

The cars with Lucas 43 alternators are probably similar, same as 420G
A new HB is a no-brainer

As the previous gent answered, with E-types, aftermarket parts are readily available

There is nothing like the ease of brand new parts, especially for E-type guys, who typically have $ falling out of their pockets :rofl:

John,
with enough finagling everything can be done…for instance the water pump will interchange…but getting it to fit into the engine compartment is challenging but can be done…like most things the last iterations of the 4.2 used in the xj6 (thru 1987) is better then the old E 4.2.
If one was to race the 4.2…all “racers” would choose the xj6…as it has bigger valves and stronger rods…again better.
Even the oil pan fits with some finagling…which gives you a spin on oil filter and an oil cooler…again better

1 Like

John,
Do you have an original 1970 4.2L block and cylinder head for your 1970 OTS or are you using later version engine parts, perhaps out of a Series III XJ6?
The reason I ask is in addition to my 1969 E-Type FHC I owned two very nice Series III XJ6s and three Series III XJ6 parts cars which I completely disassembled for parts including two complete engine changes. Although those XJ6s (1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1987) all had a 4.2L engine, many of the internal and external engine parts and ancillaries were very different from what is in my E-Type.
One way to know which parts are identical is to get copies of the Jaguar parts catalogues for your E-Type and the XJ6 series you are thinking about and compare the part numbers. This would be labor intensive but would give you the answers that you might be looking for regarding parts that they both used. The XJ6 was produced in the Series I, II, and III configurations from 1969 through 1987 and there were a lot of changes to the engine during that period.

Paul

2 Likes

No but thought about having one rebuilt stronger than aftermarket

Thanks Paul good thoughts. My engine block and heads are the original for the car. Someone started working on it and took parts off then never completed it and of course they disappeared in the following years and ownership changes.

Also … I not planning on building everything back to trailer queen quality rather I’m planning on building a reliable but improved driver. To those ends Im thinking about making some significant upgrades such as , rad, cooling , starter , altenator, wiring, ingnition system etc. So looking at options but still wanting to keep it a Jag by heart.

1 Like

An oil cooler would definitely be a plus.

So John, call me if you want help
Mitch

1 Like

Mitch. Replied to your email. Good stuff. Thanks much . Sure we will talk further.