Compressor air system

here is the umpteenth problem … in my 87 3600cc was made the conversion of air conditioning in 2015. I tried to load the gas and the system works but after a few minutes the compressor starts to spray a little 'everywhere! the possibilities are few … change it? fix it? I tried to see if it has any identification plate but there is nothing …

Max …

If I’m correct, you’re saying that your car’s air conditioning system was at some time in the past converted from R-12 to R-134a refrigerant.

While R-134a’s molecules are smaller than R-12s and may over time leak through the cars original “non-barrier” hoses it won’t spray, so that’s not the problem.

Are you are absolutely sure that the leak (spray) is coming from the air conditioning compressor and not at the hose connections at the back of the compressor?

52%20AM

If that’s the case then the compressor definitely has to come out for repair or replacement. If you decide to replace it make sure you get a compressor that was designed for R-134a.

I’m sure because I checked with the mechanic … when It goes into pressure It sprays on all sides. but which compressor can I take adapted to my car? I would take them the same but as I identify it

82-39am R-134a Retrofits Kits.pdf (25.9 KB)

Jaguar issued this TSB years ago.

R134a should be added at 80% capacity.
The XJ40 charge capacity is 2.5 lbs R12.
The R134a should be 2.0 lbs. (2.5 x 80% = 2.0)

bob

we loaded only 500gr of gas I think half the capacity … or not?

Max …

If your compressor is spraying on all sides then it must be a failure of the seal on the pulley shaft. What you’re seeing is the compressor oil. As I said the compressor will have to be removed, which is a very easy job from under the car.

You can either have your compressor rebuilt or buy a remanufactured one, usually runs around $200-250. Rock Auto has them also NAPA auto parts. These were the first two places I looked so I’m sure you can find one almost anywhere.

Remember to ALWAYS replace your receiver/dryer when replacing your compressor !!

Max, your early car should have either a Sanden 510 or 709 compressor, check google images for a pic and see if it matches the compressor on your car.

Buddies…with my mechanic we tried to repair my sanden 510 but It lose pression and It doesn’t work. Now i must find a some substitute maybe used or new not expensive. Some idea?

I just went through compressor removal, pretty easy from under the car with 1 bolt on top, be very careful on replacements as everyone that said it was for my 89 xj 40 was not going to fit! I found one at the junk yard but the car was on its belly and full of leaves. I wound up drilling and topping a bolt where thehigh press switch was,so far no leaks. I also used R 414b (hot shot) as the performance is much closer to R12. Hope this helps. P.S. good time to change the alt belt whileyou are.in there.

I tried to search it used but nothing!! My old is broken because it worked bad for too much time, we repaired it but is trash! I found many substitute but wich is a good replacement?? :frowning:

Which suppliers in the USA provide the barrier hoses? Or are they all that type now? I am thinking of replacing the original hoses in my 1990 XJ6 which was converted to R134 about 10 years ago. I figure 28 years on AC hoses is about all you can expect.

This could be?