[concours] 100 pt cars

Guys,

although not interested as such in concours competitions
myself, or owning cars that would be worht the time showing,
I’m finding the current discussion very interesting.

Being utterly naive I always thought that a 100 pt car would
be perfect in every imagineable way, visually and operationally.
Reading what has been said about the things that are checked
in a competiton I get the feeling you could by a “100 pt Jaguar”
and end up with something close to a piece of junk, albeit a
piece of junk that would be the pride of the driveway!

Having casually observed some concours judging here in Norway
(where the competition appears a lot more for fun) they do at least
check lights and engine operation, and also “look up the ladies
skirts”.

Would it really be possible to take a non-runner, strip out the
engine and driveline, remove the wiring loom, polish it up, buff
the interior, align all the screw heads, and score 100 points at
a JCNA concours?

Nick–
Nick Johannessen (@Nickj) / (nick@jagweb.com)
“The Beast” 1970 XJ6 4.2 MOD LHD 5PO (Triple SU)
“The Filler Queen” 1982 XJ6 4.2 Auto RHD 5PO (AJ6 performance modified)
Don’t forget to add your favorite workshop and club at
http://www.jagweb.com/search.html

Nick Johannessen wrote:

Would it really be possible to take a non-runner, strip out the
engine and driveline, remove the wiring loom, polish it up, buff
the interior, align all the screw heads, and score 100 points at
a JCNA concours?

Absolutely not. You have been reading too much mail from the jaguar and
bailing wire list.

BobK
63 ots (98.98 doth not a “hundred” make)

At 18:58 1/9/99 -0500, BobK wrote:

Nick Johannessen wrote:

Would it really be possible to take a non-runner, strip out the
engine and driveline, remove the wiring loom, polish it up, buff
the interior, align all the screw heads, and score 100 points at
a JCNA concours?

Absolutely not. You have been reading too much mail from the jaguar and
bailing wire list.

Ok, I’ll admit I was going a bit far with the removal of the engine,
this would obviously be noticed, but apart from that?

Nick

The basic problems were stated by Dick and Dick. Most of us never see many
of the cars moved into position under their own power. While we used to on a
more regular basis, this was a long, long time ago. The trailered cars are
many times in place long before the judges are. Someone must see how they
get there, but I usually don’t.

Nick, your right. I could think of LOTS of ways to save money on a
restoration and you’d never catch it. AND, the car would still look like a
good runner. Would I do it? Absolutely not. But, it doesn’t mean it can’t or
isn’t done. Unless we take them out for a drive, you may never catch such
things. Idling the car is great, but the real head seepage problems, other
leaks and usual operating problems don’t show up for several miles.

SK
62 OTS (I’ve decided to delete the brake pistons to see if anyone notices)

Nick Johannessen wrote:> At 18:58 1/9/99 -0500, BobK wrote:

Nick Johannessen wrote:

Would it really be possible to take a non-runner, strip out the
engine and driveline, remove the wiring loom, polish it up, buff
the interior, align all the screw heads, and score 100 points at
a JCNA concours?

Absolutely not. You have been reading too much mail from the jaguar and
bailing wire list.

Ok, I’ll admit I was going a bit far with the removal of the engine,
this would obviously be noticed, but apart from that?

Nick