[concours] E-type Outside Mirrors

Can someone advise me what the proper style outside rear view mirrors
are for a 1965 Series 1, 4.2 E-type are. Are they the bullet shaped
ones, the simpler Lucas type with a bolt-on stem and a reversible
mounting post or something else?

Where does it/do they mount?

Thanks, Dick Cavicke

There weren’t any mirrors from the factory until, I would think, 1968 1/2
when one would guess it was mandatory. Until then (or at least in the
early sixties), they were dealer installed. The parts book mentions two
types, which mount on the wings. My 63 came with the 50’s vintage Lucas
mirror, while my 62 came with the bullet mirror. Both were mounted on the
wings and appeared to be as old as the car. If you study this long
enough, you’ll probably come to the same conclusion as I that there
wasn’t any standard way of doing this. Typical yes, but nothing that
resembles the ordinary Chevrolet.

SK
62 OTS

Dick Cavicke wrote:> Can someone advise me what the proper style outside rear view mirrors

are for a 1965 Series 1, 4.2 E-type are. Are they the bullet shaped
ones, the simpler Lucas type with a bolt-on stem and a reversible
mounting post or something else?

Where does it/do they mount?

Thanks, Dick Cavicke

Steve Kemp wrote:

There weren’t any mirrors from the factory until, I would think, 1968 1/2
when one would guess it was mandatory. Until then (or at least in the
early sixties), they were dealer installed. The parts book mentions two
types, which mount on the wings. My 63 came with the 50’s vintage Lucas
mirror, while my 62 came with the bullet mirror.

While I aggree with Steve that there were no FACTORY installed mirrors,
Jaguar Service Buletin A.13 Sheet 1 of 1, December 1961 States:

"EXTERIOR MIRRORS

(“E” Type)

"Approved exterior mirrors (Part number C.19909) are now available from the Spares Division. These mirrors are supplied with the car for certain countries where external mirrors are compulsory. These mirrors are not fitted to the car at the factory to avoid damage in transit and also since individual owners may wish to fit them in varying positions. However, it has been found that, because of the “springback” mechanism projecting through the bonnet, the most satis-factory position is that shown in Fig. 1. overleaf

The mirrors should be fitted as shown in Fig. 2., with the rubber washer on the outside of the bonnet and the plain steel washer on the inside. Adjustment of the mirror glass is by means of the hexagon beaded bolt (i, Fig.2.) and adjustment of the stem is by means of the cross-headed screw on the reverse side (n, Fig.2.)."

Figure 1 is a graphic locating a single 5/8" hole for mounting the
Mirror, on the wing, 7" foward from the bonnet rear edge, 1" out fron
the chrome strip between wing and bonnet centre panel. Figure 2 is a
graphic of the mirror, C.19909

Bob Knowles
63ots (no mirrors,yet)

At 12:48 PM -0500 2/18/99, C. R. (Bob) Knowles wrote:

While I aggree with Steve that there were no FACTORY installed mirrors,
Jaguar Service Buletin A.13 Sheet 1 of 1, December 1961 States:

"EXTERIOR MIRRORS

(“E” Type)

"Approved exterior mirrors (Part number C.19909) are now available from
the Spares Division. These mirrors are supplied with the car for certain
countries where external mirrors are compulsory. These mirrors are not
fitted to the car at the factory to avoid damage in transit and also
since individual owners may wish to fit them in varying positions.
However, it has been found that, because of the “springback” mechanism
projecting through the bonnet, the most satis-factory position is that
shown in Fig. 1. overleaf

The mirrors should be fitted as shown in Fig. 2., with the rubber washer
on the outside of the bonnet and the plain steel washer on the inside.
Adjustment of the mirror glass is by means of the hexagon beaded bolt (i,
Fig.2.) and adjustment of the stem is by means of the cross-headed screw
on the reverse side (n, Fig.2.)."

Figure 1 is a graphic locating a single 5/8" hole for mounting the
Mirror, on the wing, 7" foward from the bonnet rear edge, 1" out fron
the chrome strip between wing and bonnet centre panel. Figure 2 is a
graphic of the mirror, C.19909

Indeed, some dealers actually followed these recommendations, but others
didn’t. I seem to recall a discussion on the original Jag-lovers list
long ago that in some states the mirrors had to be mounted on the door.
Others said that having the mirror mounted on the bonnet made it almost
useless, and so dealers took to mounting them on the doors on their
own initiative. My '62, which has the bonnet it was delivered with,
only had a mirror mounting hole in the door (actually, it had multiple
holes because some PO had replaced the mirror, and I had them all welded
shut when the car was restored). The bonnet shows no sign of ever having
a mirror mounted.

The bottom line is that, Jaguar recommendations aside, the cars were
delivered to the owners with or without mirrors. The mirrors were of
different types, and the mounting locations varied. They were dispatched
from the factory without mirrors. Thus, any of these options, as long
as the mirror is authentic to the period, should be acceptable. The
use of no mirror or the C.19909 should get no argument from a judge
as to authenticity. Using another aftermarket mirror may require you
to produce documentation showing that the mirror is of the period or what
was installed by the dealer.

Chip