[concours] E-type (S1) Bonnet "Undercoat"

Gentlemen:

Some of the boys in the barn have been discussing the proper under bonnet wheel
well
and diaphragm paint/stone guard finish for Concours Judging. I am getting
conflicting messages (from owners, and qualified judges) about the Championship
class judging of the finish of these areas, and would appreciate any information,
and/or observations.

I can find no definitive information in the JCNA materials, and Judging Rule book.

Bob Knowles
63 ots

Resembling the qualified judge part, I suppose I can speak from a JCNA perspective.

If the diaphrams are shot with undercoating and painted body color, that would
suffice. This includes virtually the whole inside of the wheel well, excepting the
mudshields and headlight buckets. One national champion would contend that the wheel
wells were brushed with seam sealant (which was nothing more than butyl/tar or
something at that time) as he uncovered brush marks on the diaphrams. This may well be
for some cars, but all of my evidence points to some kind of spraying device being
used (rather poorly in spots) on this as well as the underside. I personally can’t
imagine the factory opting for a labor intense brush job when they could be done with
the job in a fraction of the time with spraying. Maybe they resorted to this when they
missed spots.

This said, mine were shot with underbody (UB) to match the texture of the original tar
like substance, then painted. Since it is any early car, the bonnet balance springs
were shot installed and painted body color as well (this, after I intentionally
restored them to perfection as they would have been on later cars).

SK
62 OTS

Bob Knowles wrote:> Gentlemen:

Some of the boys in the barn have been discussing the proper under bonnet wheel
well
and diaphragm paint/stone guard finish for Concours Judging. I am getting
conflicting messages (from owners, and qualified judges) about the Championship
class judging of the finish of these areas, and would appreciate any information,
and/or observations.

I can find no definitive information in the JCNA materials, and Judging Rule book.

Bob Knowles
63 ots