[concours] Re: JCNA AGM Item

Dick wrote: “From the responses thus far, I may try for a change
recommendation which would involve demonstrating headlights, brake lights
and horns plus running the engine at idle. Light or horn failures would
bring a maximum 1.0 pt deduction each. Any takers?”++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dick: No parking lights or turn signals? I like it.

Regards, John Walker

Hell, if the thing doesn’t have an inspection sticker (your local laws may
vary)…>Dick wrote: "From the responses thus far, I may try for a change

recommendation which would involve demonstrating headlights, brake lights
and horns plus running the engine at idle. Light or horn failures would
bring a maximum 1.0 pt deduction each. Any takers?"
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dick: No parking lights or turn signals? I like it.

Regards, John Walker


Cheers-

William “Chip” Lamb
West of Sweden SAAB & Jaguar
Charles City, VA.
http://www.wmsbrg.com/sweden/


Chip wrote: “Hell, if the thing doesn’t have an inspection sticker (your
local laws may
vary)…”++++++++++++++++
Maybe that is the way to go, just insist each entrant’s vehicle be current on
the appropriate state “safety” inspection. I wonder how those who only
trailer their cars to concours would feel about this?

Regards, John Walker
69 2+2, Inspected and driven regularly :o)

J1J2WALKER@aol.com wrote:

Maybe that is the way to go, just insist each entrant’s vehicle be current on
the appropriate state “safety” inspection.

Illinois doesn’t require one, fortunately. The EPA waste-of-time-and-money
sticker is typically all we require (later than 1970 or so).

SK

Walker JR (John) at MSXSSC wrote:

Dick: No parking lights or turn signals? I like it.

John, I took this to be sarcasm. If not, I don’t think it is a good idea.
Failure of the electrics (other than the traditional windscreen wipers, for
obvious reasons of running on a dry screen) should be tested for in all
cases. Heck, this is the hardest thing to keep going and should represent a
REAL challenge to anyone running a Jaguar! Anyone to demonstrate a running
postive ground, factory clock should win the grand prize.

I vote we keep the electrics test in place.

SK
62 OTS (of course, every motor, lamp, relay, sending unit and gauge has been
replaced or rebuilt!)

In a message dated 99-01-14 22:13:39 EST, you write:

<< John, I took this to be sarcasm. If not, I don’t think it is a good idea.
Failure of the electrics (other than the traditional windscreen wipers, for
obvious reasons of running on a dry screen) should be tested for in all
cases. >>+++++++++++++++++++++
Nope, not sarcasm. I think the tests are a waste of time and effort done only
to say “well we check for more than good looks”. Just my opinion.

regards, John Walker

There are still a few states that do not require inspections. Just as
cruise ships are registered in Liberia and Norway, trailer queens could be
registered in Tennessee.

Jim Voorhies>Chip wrote: "Hell, if the thing doesn’t have an inspection sticker (your

local laws may
vary)…"
++++++++++++++++
Maybe that is the way to go, just insist each entrant’s vehicle be current on
the appropriate state “safety” inspection. I wonder how those who only
trailer their cars to concours would feel about this?

Regards, John Walker
69 2+2, Inspected and driven regularly :o)

Jim wrote: “There are still a few states that do not require inspections.
Just as
cruise ships are registered in Liberia and Norway, trailer queens could be
registered in Tennessee.”=====================
I made the suggestion in tongue in cheek. The major problem of using state
inspections I see it is the inspection laws, as you point out, vary from
state to state and this would make comparisons of concours results from
different states meaningless.

I doubt that anyone would take the time and trouble to register their car in
a state other than where they live. Too much hassle.

If nothing else, this thread shows there is no “good” or “right” answer.

Regards, John Walker

Regards,
John R. Walker
Shell Services International
Phone (713) 245-4539
FAX: (713) 245-2999
E-mail: jrwalker@shellus.com