[concours] Series 1 Tecalemit 3020 Grease Gun


(AEX1194) #1

Does the Tecalemit 3020 grease gun,as supplied with S1s,
have a blue spot on the pump pad?–
AEX1194
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–


(mytype) #2

In reply to a message from AEX1194 sent Sat 19 Sep 2015:

First time tuning into this section of the forum. I have
owned and driven my restored Ser2 for 30 years and met and
spent, some great times with other wonderful E-type owners.

However after reading some of the submissions,I am grateful
for being reminded of why I avoid concours judging events
like the plague.

‘‘Does the tecalmite grease gun have a blue dot’’?..
should the rivets on my airhorn be painted? Oooh, look at
that, tsk,tsk.

So many beautiful E’s prodded and picked apart by
bespectacled little men with clip boards obsessed with
factory correctness.

All the while overlooking the intent and commitment of the
doting owner who has invested decades, obscene amounts of
money and perhaps a marriage, to preserve a beautiful
motoring icon.

So to my obsessed concours friends, carry trailering,
polishing, preening and shooing little children away. I am
sure the ribbons and trinkets are worth all the nail
biting, sleepless nights and fretting about who is parking
next to your treasure.

I prefer a comfortable cruise, a good quality wine with
friends and ‘‘of course you can take a photo, why not get in
and I will take the photo of you behind the wheel?’’

We are only stewards of what we have been blessed with.
Life is short, go in style and remember when you are gone,
the next owner may wish to install a Mazda RX7 engine in
your goddess.

best regards and keep…start??..jagging, Mytype 71 Ser. 2–
The original message included these comments:

Does the Tecalemit 3020 grease gun,as supplied with S1s,
have a blue spot on the pump pad?


mytype
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php


(Len Wheeler) #3

Hear Hear! After years of being a JCNA Judge, Chief Judge I woke up to
the fact that Concours really is an exercise in cleanleness. Most of the
judges do not have the expertise in the class of car they are judging,
and with all the new cars who is to say what is “authentic”. I drive my
E at least 3500 miles a year and it is meant to be “on the road”, not in
the show. When I do put it in a show, the most fun is having a little
squirt sit behind the wheel and honk the horn for a picture.

Len WOn 1/23/2016 10:04 AM, mytype wrote:

In reply to a message from AEX1194 sent Sat 19 Sep 2015:

First time tuning into this section of the forum. I have
owned and driven my restored Ser2 for 30 years and met and
spent, some great times with other wonderful E-type owners.

However after reading some of the submissions,I am grateful
for being reminded of why I avoid concours judging events
like the plague.

‘‘Does the tecalmite grease gun have a blue dot’’?..
should the rivets on my airhorn be painted? Oooh, look at
that, tsk,tsk.

So many beautiful E’s prodded and picked apart by
bespectacled little men with clip boards obsessed with
factory correctness.

All the while overlooking the intent and commitment of the
doting owner who has invested decades, obscene amounts of
money and perhaps a marriage, to preserve a beautiful
motoring icon.

So to my obsessed concours friends, carry trailering,
polishing, preening and shooing little children away. I am
sure the ribbons and trinkets are worth all the nail
biting, sleepless nights and fretting about who is parking
next to your treasure.

I prefer a comfortable cruise, a good quality wine with
friends and ‘‘of course you can take a photo, why not get in
and I will take the photo of you behind the wheel?’’

We are only stewards of what we have been blessed with.
Life is short, go in style and remember when you are gone,
the next owner may wish to install a Mazda RX7 engine in
your goddess.

best regards and keep…start??..jagging, Mytype 71 Ser. 2

The original message included these comments:

Does the Tecalemit 3020 grease gun,as supplied with S1s,
have a blue spot on the pump pad?

mytype
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php


(MMoore8425@aol.com) #4

Len,
While I generally agree with your point, there are many many worse things to do with your time and money. There are many more harmful addictions.But more importantly, it is the concours guys who set the standards,i.e., how good the car should be and hopefully how it should look. Guys like you and I are the backbone of the hobby. We need us all,
Mike Moore
63 S1 O2S> On Jan 23, 2016, at 9:55 AM, Len Wheeler lenscats@comcast.net wrote:

Hear Hear! After years of being a JCNA Judge, Chief Judge I woke up to the fact that Concours really is an exercise in cleanleness. Most of the judges do not have the expertise in the class of car they are judging, and with all the new cars who is to say what is “authentic”. I drive my E at least 3500 miles a year and it is meant to be “on the road”, not in the show. When I do put it in a show, the most fun is having a little squirt sit behind the wheel and honk the horn for a picture.

Len W

On 1/23/2016 10:04 AM, mytype wrote:

In reply to a message from AEX1194 sent Sat 19 Sep 2015:

First time tuning into this section of the forum. I have
owned and driven my restored Ser2 for 30 years and met and
spent, some great times with other wonderful E-type owners.

However after reading some of the submissions,I am grateful
for being reminded of why I avoid concours judging events
like the plague.

‘‘Does the tecalmite grease gun have a blue dot’’?..
should the rivets on my airhorn be painted? Oooh, look at
that, tsk,tsk.

So many beautiful E’s prodded and picked apart by
bespectacled little men with clip boards obsessed with
factory correctness.

All the while overlooking the intent and commitment of the
doting owner who has invested decades, obscene amounts of
money and perhaps a marriage, to preserve a beautiful
motoring icon.

So to my obsessed concours friends, carry trailering,
polishing, preening and shooing little children away. I am
sure the ribbons and trinkets are worth all the nail
biting, sleepless nights and fretting about who is parking
next to your treasure.

I prefer a comfortable cruise, a good quality wine with
friends and ‘‘of course you can take a photo, why not get in
and I will take the photo of you behind the wheel?’’

We are only stewards of what we have been blessed with.
Life is short, go in style and remember when you are gone,
the next owner may wish to install a Mazda RX7 engine in
your goddess.

best regards and keep…start??..jagging, Mytype 71 Ser. 2

The original message included these comments:

Does the Tecalemit 3020 grease gun,as supplied with S1s,
have a blue spot on the pump pad?

mytype
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php


(Jag-ur) #5

In reply to a message from AEX1194 sent Sat 19 Sep 2015:

as one of the ‘obsessed’ I would like to point out that
whereas I agree that virtually none of the judges in the
XK120 class know what they are looking at I believe it is
still important to have at least a few examples of each
model that are as close to factory original as possible… if
only to remain as examples. Go ahead if you want to drive
yours … it is your car you may do as you wish… I am
equally happy to shoo away small children with sticky
fingers… and parents who don’t know how to conduct
themselves around other peoples property… DO NOT TOUCH…
THIS MEANS YOU will remain on my windshield!–
godfrey
pender island bc, Canada
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php


(PeterCrespin) #6

In reply to a message from mytype sent Sat 23 Jan 2016:

I don’t post here either as a rule, and like you, am not
likely to do so in future very much. However, I admin on
other forums and was asked by someone (nobody in this
thread) to apply some ‘judging rules’ to this thread,
which is outside the spirit of Jag-lovers.

Whilst opinions are easy to come by, good manners it seems
are rather more difficult for some people. I don’t like
fishing, but wouldn’t dream of telling a fishing forum
what a load of wasters I thought they were on my first
visit. Indeed, if I knew beforehand that I didn’t like
fishing I woukdn’t waste my time lurking there and thrn
acting like a troll by posting assinine comments that are
the very opposite of ‘life is short go in style.’

Last time I looked, concourse weren’t compulsory. If you
don’t like something, go and do something else instead of
criticising others and abusing your (removable) posting
privileges on Jag-lovers.

Peter Crespin
Admin–
The original message included these comments:

First time tuning into this section of the forum. I have
for being reminded of why I avoid concours judging events
like the plague.
bespectacled little men with clip boards obsessed with
factory correctness.
Life is short, go in style and remember when you are gone,


66 ‘UberLynx’ D, 70 FHC, 79 S2 XJ12L, 97 XJ6L
Gaithersburg, Maryland, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php


(John Harmon) #7

That would be Tom Lehere, the satirical song writer from the 50’s.

On a more serious note, the JCNA here in North America strives to
promote the Jaguar experience for ALL it’s members – many who have
different interests – driving, parties, rally, concours, etc… The
Concours program is tailored to those who have an interest (passion)
to make their cars as technically accurate as possible. During my
short tenure as JCNA Concours Chair we came to the realization that
our biggest challenge was judge competency. Yes, when a judge has
little technical knowledge, his focus is more on condition &
cleanliness and less on authenticity Spend $100k on restoring your
car and have it judged by somebody who doesn’t know what they are
looking at.

Some JCNA clubs do not agree with strict Concours rules. I know that
as a fact. They present their Concours in more of a Pebble Beach
celebration atmosphere and may the prettiest car win. It doesn’t take
very long for a person who just paid some restorer $100k to find out
where these shows are and stack up three 100 point wins for a North
American championship. It appears the JCNA is pushing for a NA
Championship based, not on local club scores, but by Concours judged
by the most knowledgable judges available. It remains to be seen if
the JCNA CJ will be able to pull such a team together. I certainly
hope he can.

The problem is that we, as our cars, are getting older. Trying to
find people with detailed knowledge of cars built in the 50’s is
becoming more, and more difficult. This is complicated by the fact
that there are no incentives for someone to become expert on models
other than the ones we own. The youngsters don’t care if a RB210
regulator is painted black or polished - or even know what it is!

Pat HarmonOn Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Michael Moore mmoore8425@aol.com wrote:

Len,
While I generally agree with your point, there are many many worse things to do with your time and money. There are many more harmful addictions.But more importantly, it is the concours guys who set the standards,i.e., how good the car should be and hopefully how it should look. Guys like you and I are the backbone of the hobby. We need us all,
Mike Moore
63 S1 O2S

On Jan 23, 2016, at 9:55 AM, Len Wheeler lenscats@comcast.net wrote:

Hear Hear! After years of being a JCNA Judge, Chief Judge I woke up to the fact that Concours really is an exercise in cleanleness. Most of the judges do not have the expertise in the class of car they are judging, and with all the new cars who is to say what is “authentic”. I drive my E at least 3500 miles a year and it is meant to be “on the road”, not in the show. When I do put it in a show, the most fun is having a little squirt sit behind the wheel and honk the horn for a picture.

Len W

On 1/23/2016 10:04 AM, mytype wrote:

In reply to a message from AEX1194 sent Sat 19 Sep 2015:

First time tuning into this section of the forum. I have
owned and driven my restored Ser2 for 30 years and met and
spent, some great times with other wonderful E-type owners.

However after reading some of the submissions,I am grateful
for being reminded of why I avoid concours judging events
like the plague.

‘‘Does the tecalmite grease gun have a blue dot’’?..
should the rivets on my airhorn be painted? Oooh, look at
that, tsk,tsk.

So many beautiful E’s prodded and picked apart by
bespectacled little men with clip boards obsessed with
factory correctness.

All the while overlooking the intent and commitment of the
doting owner who has invested decades, obscene amounts of
money and perhaps a marriage, to preserve a beautiful
motoring icon.

So to my obsessed concours friends, carry trailering,
polishing, preening and shooing little children away. I am
sure the ribbons and trinkets are worth all the nail
biting, sleepless nights and fretting about who is parking
next to your treasure.

I prefer a comfortable cruise, a good quality wine with
friends and ‘‘of course you can take a photo, why not get in
and I will take the photo of you behind the wheel?’’

We are only stewards of what we have been blessed with.
Life is short, go in style and remember when you are gone,
the next owner may wish to install a Mazda RX7 engine in
your goddess.

best regards and keep…start??..jagging, Mytype 71 Ser. 2

The original message included these comments:

Does the Tecalemit 3020 grease gun,as supplied with S1s,
have a blue spot on the pump pad?

mytype
Kelowna, B.C., Canada
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php


(Gary Grant) #8

In reply to a message from AEX1194 sent Sat 19 Sep 2015:

The 3020 grease gun has no blue dot, only the 3021 version
that came with at least the XK140s, had the mystical blue
dot.
I think the purpose of the blue dot is cosmetic, to cover
the fastener holding the handle onto the pump shaft, making
it look nice.
It appears the blue dot could be just a piece of blue
plastic, heated to a molten state, and then dripped into
position in a recess formed in the handle, then allowed to
harden in place.–
The original message included these comments:

Does the Tecalemit 3020 grease gun,as supplied with S1s,
have a blue spot on the pump pad?


Gary Grant S818919DN
Ottawa, Canada
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php


(JuanCarlos) #9

In reply to a message from mytype sent Sat 23 Jan 2016:

AMEN. I am blessed with a Series III that has posed for the
guys with clipboards many times and has all the docs,
Concours d’Elegance cards etc while she stands proud out
there in the garage. This was accomplished by the previous
owner and I hold his interests for this machine in highest
regards as well as the car itself with all the heritage it
carries BUT, I agree with mytype 1000% while this car will
never be propelled by anything other than what she came
with while in my care & she will live a grand life here.
I’ll see to that as I told the owner while contracting her
to my estate, this truly is a gentlemen’s car. Life is
short really. Too short to overshoot the moments with the
good friends and things we have.

Have a nice week,
John–
The original message included these comments:

I prefer a comfortable cruise, a good quality wine with
friends and ‘‘of course you can take a photo, why not get in
and I will take the photo of you behind the wheel?’’
We are only stewards of what we have been blessed with.
Life is short, go in style and remember when you are gone,
the next owner may wish to install a Mazda RX7 engine in
your goddess.


John Schmincke 88,89,92 XJS Coupe 5.3 - 85 XJ6 Saloon 4.2
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php