Congratulations and suggestion

New site looks fantastic!

Could we have a “mark all topics read” option please?

1 Like

Andrew,

I stumbled on it. Click the “Dismiss” button. That will make it so the old posts don’t come up again as not read. You start over.

p.s. Ha! I got to edit a typo!!

Are you guys kidding? How do you navigate this crap

Norman,

I’m still feeling my way but it makes more sense once you “Dismiss” all of the old posts from back around 1998. Then it seems like clicking on the “Unread” button along the top narrows it down to a reasonable level. HTH

Craig, I Don’t see a “Dismiss” button on any of the topics in the E-Type forum. Further, when I click the “Unread” button, there are no topics there! Help, please!

Go into your preferences and add the forums (now called “Categories”) you wish to follow to the “Watched” Categories field. Then hit “Save Changes” at the bottom of the preferences page.

Jerry,

I had to look a little. I guess because I had already dismissed most everything. But I found an example by going to “All Categories” then “New” then scrolling to the bottom and looking at lower right corner for the “Dismiss New” button.

That being said, I seem to remember finding it at the top of other lists but not now. Also, I can’t say for sure but some of the “New” messages that were dismissed are still listed, though being pushed down the page some. Still trying to find my way.

FWIW, If a person goes to their preferences and then enters car data into the “About me” box, that info will show up on a post if a reader clicks on their “avatar”.

Craig,

Got the car data – in fact my old signature – in there.

Going “All Categories” “New” I get no list, no button.

Jerry

I don’t know if this helps but here is a screenshot that shows navigation to where I see the “Dismiss…” button:

And this result after clicking the “Dismiss…” button:

But I have to say, I still don’t know if the results are permanent or how to eliminate some of the posts from 1998 say.

I’m still trying to get my head around the new format (I still have some digests from 1997)

I saw somewhere the new forum is mobile friendly.

What apps (android) can I use ?

E-Type Digest Thursday, October 2 1997 Volume 02 : Number 175

In this issue:

Re: Paint Shop
Re: DUCK! - was: E-Type maintenance cost
Re: DUCK! - was: E-Type maintenance cost
Re: Non-tech - Paint Shop
Re: modifications
emissions regs changing in VA
Re: Tach Problems
Re: modifications
Pinging & Timing
Re: E-Type Digest V2 #173
Re: (Fwd) etype carb
Hirschmann Antenna
Ignitor story continued
Re: Noises
Re: Pinging & Timing

Yes, there were a few digests that went out spanning rather a long way into the past. The Y2K post issues seem to have been solved (cough!)

As to apps, have a look in the store. The forum runs on discourse, see http://www.discourse.org/

I anticipate that being able to access the forum straight from your phone will drastically reduce the time it takes to do things like asking if your plug wires are in the right order…

Andrew

It’s most likely that most here have already figured this out but just in case it helps someone this is what I did to “clean up” what I see when I sign on.

I am most interested in the “E-Type” “Category” and am not interested in seeing how many “New” topics have been posted in some of the other categories which tends to confuse the issue when signing on. If you select, one by one, each of the categories in the drop down list to the left of the “Latest” button and then go to the drop down to the right of the “New Topic” button you can select how you want to follow each of the other categories.

IOW, if you select “Muted” on every category except E-Type, when you sign on only the New postings for E-Type category will show up on the screen. I think you get the same effect by selecting “Normal” but not sure.

Anyway, it seems to me that incremental changes are occurring that are making the experience better and better, almost by the hour. Thanks to Gunnar, Nick, Andrew and others for the great work!

I have been informed that you don’t need any app or such to use JL with your phone. Discourse scales to suit the display on the device (this was one of the features that was wanted). You just use whatever browser your phone has and go the the JL site. There are IOS and Android apps available, but you don’t really need them, apparently.

Being an old fart I just use my phone for talking, remembering things like where I parked the car and such. I miss my old phone, the generator was great for worm picking.

Great Job on the new site -

On one of the forums I have used it has a sub section that was headed " Mech Teck" this allowed folk to post
Specific technical know how.
So say someone found a good way to restore an item or install a windscreen, they could do an individual post with pictures showing other folk how to do it, this could become a great library.
Maybe it could be headed “How To……”
here is a link to the site I was talking about if it helps

Regards
marc

Is there any way to post a flag in line with our user name? I.E. USA, UK, etc.

1 Like

That’s an excellent idea, and I’ll put it on the list. Thanks!

Gunnar

I have been wondering if this feature would be restored, or did I miss it? Thanks!

Hi Admin

How can I subscribe to what used to be a “DIGEST” of one or several categories ?
Thanks.

Francis

That is exactly my question, too. I just 're-subscribed" so I can see the forums again and would greatly like to reactivate the Digest function. Also, the site now says I joined Nov 29 when in fact I’ve been a paying member since 2000. I suppose there are many others with this same situation, can the join date reflect our actual participation? Overall, the renovation is a big step forward.

Lynn