Congratulations and suggestion

Lynn,

Welcome back.

Unfortunately, the original join date was not migrated. As far as I can tell every single account which was migrated was created on Nov. 17, 2016. The join date will be the day you first logged into the new site with your new credentials.

The content is all there, so there is that to be thankful for.

Please allow me to add my congratulations and a sincere “WELL DONE” on the web site make over.

While I’m still trying to navigate many of the new features and upgrades, from what I have figured out is very impressive. Obviously a lot of thought went into this. Thanks for your hard work !

Thanks, Andrew, I agree that preserving all the history and content is the most important detail. But, is the Digest function still available?

As far as I know.

Perhaps someone who is using digest mode could help Lynn out? It would be nice if someone could write a quick overview of how to set digest mode up.

Yes, I used the search icon at the top of the page but found no results for Digest or any permutations of the term or subject that I could think of. I hope it is still available, it was a most handy function.

Lynn,

At the moment search won’t help you find much on how to set your profile up to use digest mode because no one has written a guide on how to do this.

I myself have never used digest mode, and for the moment I am keeping my private email open to try and help users who are having trouble getting logged into the new site.

Perhaps some other user would write up a quick overview on how they set digest mode up, preferably with some screen shots and an explanation of what settings affect what. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just enough information to get a discussion going and users helping each other. (Nothing about setting your profile up to use digest mode requires any special privileges).

Andrew,

Rick Kuschel is having problems getting in and is getting frustrated. His ID is
Richard_Kuschel
and sure enough you can find posts with that.
When he (or I) use that as a login ID and say forgot password, the cursor goes to a little “NOT” sign then back to the same place. He never receives any emails. Can you help?

Just having a look now.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Problems with not being able to create a new topic

I asked as well in a different posting, glad to see that it’s being considered.

Also it is still neccessary that the titles of threads are specific with regard model and location etc. due to the cross overs even more so now that many familiar user names are replaced by coloured initials.

Gunnar, Andrew, Nick, et al…
Digging the new site. Just saying…
Thanks for all of your work on this.
Jim

1 Like

Andrew:

I think the Mailing List Mode is what I and other Digest users are looking for. I followed the directions to set this up and it seems to be working. Two suggestions:

The instructions are not clear that to get to this user setting, after clicking on the colored circle in the upper right corner (contains the first letter of the user name), the next step is to click on the little gear icon in the upper right of the new command window. Then the Mailing List Mode check box is 14 items down the preferences page.

The Mailing List Mode gives a summary of every post on the forum since the previous mailing. There is not a way to filter or restrict the Mailing List to one or two categories of choice. The Muted function is over-ridden by the Mailing List choice. I’ll keep looking and experimenting and would like to find a way to limit the Mailing List Mode contents.

Thanks again,

Lynn

Lynn,

There are two kinds of triggers for Discourse to send an email to your address:

1. Notifications
  2. Digest

Notifications can be configured to send you an email when someone replies, quotes, PMs, or mentions you in an existing thread. If those things happen when you are not logged into the site, then the system will send you an email notification about that. The system will only send a max of 100 mails/user/day, so if you have these settings configured to be too chatty then your account will ring the bell and stop sending you emails for a while. If you ring the bell before the digest mail would go out then guess what you won’t be seeing in your inbox…

Digest can be enabled and configured, but unfortunately you have to mute all the categories you do NOT want to see, rather than just enable all the categories you DO wish to see. This is a bit cumbersome.

For the moment I would suggest not muting the “Site Feedback” and “User Guides and How-Tos” categories, so that if something changes about the way things are done then you would see those messages in your digest email.

Thanks, Andrew, I’m working on adding all the non-XK categories which as you mention is quite a job. Also, there is no Digest function, I think we are both talking about the Mailing List Mode function. Correct?

Regards,

Lynn

Indeed, I am referring to the “Mailing list mode”, which is what we used to call “Digest”. I try wherever possible to use the new terminology, but it’s been a busy time since the migration.

I’m not sure if it would be worth writing up a translation guide for such terms or not.

My feeling is that a translation guide would be a good idea, at least for the most commonly used terms and functions. There is lots to learn in here and while the features are familiar to those who regularly use blogs and such, this may be a new day for a sizable portion of the list membership. Maybe not, just a guess.