Consensus about oil filters

I own a 2000 XJ8 (USA) with the 4.0 litre AJ-27 engine since new. Very much in love with the car; would like to extend its life for another 19 years! My question to you fine gents: What is the best oil filter (by brand) for this specific application?

Much obliged for your recommendations.

I’ll cut to the chase here. There’s a website, Bob Is The Oil Guy, or BITOG that debates oil filters for pages and pages. Check it out. There’s more than enougn information there to answer your question!

1 Like

Basically, any good brand name one, plus regular changes, and yer golden.

I have loooong used, with good results, any oil that has the highest API rating… that’s on sale.

Regular Fram seems to be the only big name brand people shy away from, however the Fram Extra Guard seems to be just fine. Wix is popular. Mann is OEM. Mahle is often OEM for Merc, Porsche, etc. I’m not against Purolator…the list is long. The exceptions are not.

Thanks Paul. I used to think the same way. Read on and you will see where I’m coming from.
Cheers!

Ill read on: however, 50+ years of experience, and a wide variety of engines that have gone 150,000 to 200,000 miles, on my formula, remains… fairly set

Change my mind! :wink:

Thanks Veekay.
I didn’t mean to come across as completely ignorant, so here is the whole story.
I have always been partial to Purolator; I got that from my deceased dear old Papi, who during the sixties and seventies ground into my head that “the original” is the best.I have owned the car for eighteen years now. At the beginning it was my wife’s car.I always used Castrol Edge FS and a Purolator L15317. I waited for the filters to go on sale, and usually bought like six at a time,so I had a pretty good stash of them at the house. For a while there too, I did the same with the Bosch 72209. As time went on,retirement came for the both of us, and the car started to be used less frequently.At some point I decided this was going to be my First Collector Car.So the car got used even less.About eight years ago I found myself “forced” to change oil & filter every year, because that was the conventional wisdom at the time.During these 8 years the highest number of accrued miles on the car in any given year was 46 miles.So,I found myself spending around fifty dollars to replace oil and filter with forty-something miles of use.I reached out to an acquaintance of mine (a really big and renowned car collector here in Florida), who laughed at my naive-ness. He told me that he has cars in his collection that have had the same oil in the crankcase for the last 26 years, and as long as the car does not exceed 750 miles with that oil AND do not show any oil contamination (like water emulsion, rust, suspended particles, etc.) he does NOT change oil based on time alone, because oil does not spoil, separate, degrade, or otherwise go “bad” on its own.So!!!..new “collector plan” for me! Now I plan to start fresh from scratch…Give the car one oil & filter change using the best oil & filter for my specific application and go from there. Based on my age, the myriad of health issues I have been battling over the last five years and the amount of use the car gets, there is an excellent chance that I will die before the car is due for another oil change.

Now to the point of all of this…I vividly remember that back then, both, the Purolator L15317 and the Bosch 72209 filters were heavy,sturdy, big and heavy duty units.Both were stenciled with the words “Made in Germany” and to my recollection, they both looked identical. As a matter of fact, I think I remember reading somewhere that Purolator sublet the manufacture of the L15317 to Bosch. So, in pursuing my new and improved “collector plan”, recently I went shopping for my new oil filter.I was shocked when I handled the new L15317 filter at the parts store.It is light, flimsy, rattles like an empty soda can, much smaller in height and circumference and not a mention of Germany anywhere.The Bosch wasn’t any better. To begin with, the 72209 does not exist anymore. It has been replaced by the 72209WS which to me looks and feels exactly as the new L15317 does. To me neither one of them is worthy of my car. That is why I reached out to you, fellow cat owners, to see what your experience is with this issue.

Thanks.

Maybe this will put your mind at ease: even the much-vilified Fram filters have never failed me.

https://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm

I do look for Wix or Wix-made filters, for they seem to garner the best praise. BOBISTHEOILGUY.com is also a good source of info.

Thanks Paul…
Really useful and enlightening information on that link.
I will eat it up!
Cheers!

I get mine from Jaguar classic, no dearer than some other makes on ebay

Every so often, the ol’ “K&Ns made my car go 200 mph faster, PLUS I got 79% better mileage!” thread shows up…and BITOG’s test shows that to be a sole effect of the “mind dyno.” [bolding mine]

The differential pressure was measured between atmospheric and the pressure drop after the air filter in the stock airbox. The max pressure drop in this test was seen at only 7.0 inches of water or 0.25 psi. The factory airbox and piping with no filter yielded a pressure drop of 5.0 inches of water or 0.18 psi. That means that the worst filter in this test only caused a pressure drop of 0.07 psi. In my opinion, this means that if you are picking an air filter based on performance, you probably aren’t doing your car any favors. For the record, the K&N was the best flowing filter. Of the 3 types of media tested, the cotton gauze type filters flow best. There are other brands besides K&N for sale, of which most are probably made by K&N for resellers. Foam air filters flowed marginally better than paper.

In this air filter test, no attempt is made at determining actual concentration. A color comparison is used to determine real world filtration ability. Each test filter was used in the same car, on the same roads for 500 miles. The darker deposits indicate poorer filtration, and lighter ones better filtration. That said, both the cotton gauze type (K&N) and foam filters (Amsoil & Jackson Racing) showed the same levels of filtration. Both performed poorly compared to the fiberous [sic] or paper filters.

I am sorry,Paul…I must have had a stroke while asleep last night! Because my brain is just not working today; what you wrote about the air filter test is about to go completely over my head!
Are you trying to say that the marketing hype that this test exposes here as a scam is the same kind of hype that would also apply to oil filters?

Cheers!

Hi guys,

Let me try and re-introduce my quest in another way. Who is the OE manufacturer for the Jaguar branded “factory” oil filters?

Thank you all.

To a degree: folks seem to buy into the hyperbole about slipping in an air filter, and gain 200 hp.

Never heard of anyone blowing up the motor because the oil or the filter was the wrong brand.

Ditto: I think it’s–again–a bit of overthink, especially since our toys are driven few miles, with regular oil changes.

Use a decent brand of filter, use any on-sale oil, change it regularly. That’s worked for a cumulative 1 million+ miles, on a number of cars I’ve been associated with.

1 Like

X300 as a toy?
Mahle, mann, bosch… they all do well. And if a printed on leaper is about the same price, well yes of course…
regular changes do seem more important than expensive oil but do whatever you want! What’s the worst that could happen with a generic modern oil.

1 Like

Even a DD, the same pertains.

Of course, my main car is a Ford S-Max (to fit the family plus luggage, transport furniture, etc.) and my toys are a BMW E30 and an X300 (which replaces the X305 I had before).

Years and years ago I used to be very fussy about oils, filters, etc. Eventually I concluded that my efforts made me ME feel very good… but the CAR didn’t give a rats-ass one way or the other :slight_smile:

Cheers
DD

3 Likes