Considering a 2.4 Mk2 4 spd

Its rough, but I ask a question. If I remember correctly, the 2.4 Mk2 was never “officially” imported to the US correct? That said, anyone have any idea or data-source for how many 2.4 Mk2’s made it over here? I haven’t seen the title yet, but I’m told its a 61 or 62. I know that rarity doesn’t increase value necessarily, but unique and quirky can be fun!

thanks

Bill

1 Like

Would not think many are left , not sure how many went to the USA , someone will know !

:raised_hand: I have one! A 1968 240. I bought it in 1973 from a guy who purchased it in Brussels Belgium and brought it over. It’s never run better. Would you like to see it?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MZvwsekdCW9pC5PY7

I can see the pictures. Is it true that the 2.4 runs very nice and smooth?
I‘d buy it!!

1 Like

Greetings All,

I own a 2.4 MKII, RHD, red on red, wires manual with OD, with a Webasto.

They made it to our shores, but sort of doubt by dealers as every one I have seen is RHD. Would have thought they’d be LHD?

The car should not be as rare, as the 2.4 was made in greater numbers.

I imported the car in '82 after working in the UK. Drove it home from NYC, learning to shift left handed and dealing with Connecticut tolls from the wrong side of the car. That’s when the Webasto came in handy. Oh yeah, the heater, on a typical New England January, barely kept 8" of the windshield defrosted.

Great engine, the original plan was to swap it out for another 3.4/3.8 that was spare, even bought the the needed parts. Problem was engine is pretty sweet. Runs like a sewing machine. Car had been fitted with SU’s but the Solexes were in the trunk. I don’t believe the rear end is original. The ratio seems wrong. I’m doing 60 and under 2000 RPM, meaning I will be grabbing another gear for most hills. Great mileage though.

well…I bought them. The primary is an end of Oct or first week Nov 1959 build (#146) 2.4 4spd with OD. Rough and rusty in the lower fenders forward of the rockers and around the corners when the bumpers bolt up. Rockers are somehow in great shape. The 2nd car is #460 and also a 2.4 4spd car. Between the two getting one complete car will be easy. Both are titled and 146 is a numbers matching car. Both cars are black/red interior. Interesting that on saloon.collectordata.com there are only two 2.4 LHD noted in the US. So lets up that total folks!

1 Like

i found them a ton of fun on road with moss& od ,autobox perhaps easier .

Beautiful. He must have kept it garaged in Brussels, as Belgium is more rust prone than England.

I picked up a 3.8L out of a MK X and plan on putting it in my 240. I will be selling my 2.4L engine and 4 speed, together or in pieces. Rebuilt straight port head and SU’s.

You’ll probably need to change the front springs to accommodate the heavier engine, and I would definitely suggest fitting power steering. There was no skimping on the 240, all the fittings and fixtures were up to the same standard as the larger engined and more expensive varients of the MK2.

quite a bit o difference in spring rates and anti roll bars+ shocks to be considered as all interact with ride and feel. rear not a problem if i remember properly. 1 like a 2.4 4 speed it is almost like driving a better riding mk2.

Yes, one thing leads to another, so new springs, shocks, brakes, PS as well as the rear gear ratio.

I have put a 3.4 into my 240 , have a close ratio steering box , would not dream of adding PS .
Wimps :joy: lol

In the 50’ties there was several upgrades done to the 2.4 mk1. Before the 3.4 arrived.
The 2.4 is very smooth it would be fun to se anyone upgrading that engine🙄

Straight port head SU carbs would add about 20bhp , take it too around 133 bhp , 3.4 is around 210 bhp
Would it be worth upgrading :thinking:

I dont think it would be wort it🙂
But the sound of a little short stroke engine
Could be fun to hear.:wink:

would be better to rework the original B style head and use a pair of small holleys. and probably much cheaper .? and you could bore it to 2.8 l. i heard that it is much better to use the lighter early block but it may be marginal. all that front suspension work ends up costing $

The 240 version ( small bumpers) has a straightport head and SU HD6 by default.
Early 2.4 MK2 ( big bumpers ) had a B head and solex carbs.

there were some lhd 2.4 saloons and early mk2 s exported to canada. i do not believe there were any 240 s & i have never heard 2.4 0r 2.8 xj s. so lhd probably rare find in north america.

They made more 2.4’s than 3.4 and 3.8’s combined.

Big seller in the U.K.

Everyone I have seen in the US was RHD.