Contact cement recommendation

Oh, good lord, that looks…familiar.

:grinning:

I second the suggestion of 3M Super 90 Spray Adhesive. Just be careful where it lands as it’s a bear to remove - and that’s good where you want it!

The landau weldwood is the one to use
$56 bucks is cheap insurance
Nothing has failed in my interior in 3000 miles of driving
The seats are a good test because of the use they get and mine are holding up perfectly

Would use a brush on the seats
And 2 coats because of soaking in of the adhesive

1 Like

Anyone have experience with this store: $37.95

Harvey, your shop looks like my garage! It’s full of stuff that “someday I might need this”. But to me a half empty rattle can of paint is different than a gallon that I’ve only used 10% of. And that it unlikely I’d ever use again. Besides at some point you start running out of space!

Scot I think I looked at them when I bought mine. I think you’ll find the shipping is $$.
The $56 at Amazon was about the best I could find

BTW none of you chemists suggested a solvent that will work with this stuff. Any ideas?

The can says toluene or xylene.

Thanks David. Which one is less dangerous? I suspect the answer is neither :frowning:

While their web site says mineral spirits which is likely more user friendly than xylene or toluene…

Clean excess wet adhesive from surfaces and tools with mineral spirits. Dried adhesive must be cut or
scraped away. Clean hands with warm water and soap. DO NOT use solvents to remove product from
skin. Store container in cool, dry place away from extreme heat or cold.

Source:

https://www.dap.com/media/4771/ww-landau-top-trim-hhr_tds_5819.pdf

Harvey, as John mentioned below, I used mineral spirits to clean the brush I was using. I decided NOT to spray, as others mentioned the fumes are quite strong, and spraying would only intensify that. Also I had a concern about getting the cement where I didn’t want it. I thought the brush was more than adequate, as it gave me a controlled application by amount and location. Perhaps experienced sprayers could do the same, but the brush worked great for me.

1 Like

Got it. 10+ years ago, I remember spraying the roof in preparation for application of the headliner. That was the first thing to go in the car. As you note, as you get more items installed, spraying can go where you don’t want it.

1 Like

What parts are you going to installing now?

Just be aware that the Landau contact cement has a one year shelflife. I was pretty bummed when I got out my half used can and opened it up and it turned into Jell-O. Had to buy a new gallon.

Ah! One more reason for not wanting to buy 64oz when I only need 8.

I used the disposable ‘chip’ brushes from Harbor Freight - pitch instead of clean.

128 oz in a gal.

It’s one more reason to buy the spray can of Headliner Adhesive. You could keep that can on the shelf for a decade, it’d still be usable. I suspect it’s because air cannot get into the can.

I have used Weldwood for my interior project which I am making from scratch with all leather components (no kits) and I am satisfied so far with the adhesion capabilities. I had to redo several pieces such as the console and several trim pieces because I just didn’t have the patience to wait until enough dry time had passed . After more research on YouTube I recovered those pieces and used a wooden seam roller about an 1 1/4" wide to really make contact. I’m well pleased with the results. I am a horse harness maker by trade for 30 years and I use Weldwood when building quite a few straps and things.

2 Likes