Convertible top cylinder seals and housing

I posted a similar post under 86 convertible XJS v-12 but got no response so Ill try a new heading. Preformatted textMy first questions is does anyone have any info where I can get new seals for my lift cylinders? I can see air bubbles come out of the top of the cylinders. My second question is to put oil in my system I have a rubber plug in the end of the housing opposite the end of the pump. Is this the typical location for adding oil. I managed to get a little in when I took out center housing bolt but I didnt think that was the preferred way. I was a little leery of ruining the rubber plug so I filled it through center hole. Thanks Rod

This is on the ‘other’ Jaguar forum;

The cylinders do not have replaceable seals - you won’t find any.
New cylinders are available from Ebay at reasonable prices.
Looking at photos from my overhaul of the 1/4 windows etc., there is what looks like a filler cap on the pump which takes an Allen key.

1 Like

Yep best bet is probably just new cylinders from ebay and like was said, fill at pump on reservoir side hole

I bought the seals for the converible rams years ago from one of the jag parts suppliers. I later found new rams on eBay and they were not that expensive. When replacing the old ones with the new ones I noticed the new ones were a bit larger and seemed to be made better then the old ones

1 Like

Yeah my originals were plastic. My new ebay ones are aluminum. Seem much nicer!

I took my cylinders to a local hydraulics guy to see if he could do anything with them and he agreed that they are not rebuildable being a crimp style cylinder. He also asked what Ebay had been selling them for (129.00) and he said even if they were rebuildable he couldn`t do it for that price. Ebay here I come . Thanks for the timely info.

1 Like

I ordered cylinders through Ebay that were meant for my 86 XJS V-12 convertible. Cylinders arrived yesterday and the new ones have a much smaller diameter about 5/8" smaller as well as about 3/4" shorter in the closed position. They also mount differently. Mine have a mounting point and a line connection on the bottom of the cylinder with another line connection at the top of the cylinder and a bolt connection on the end of the rod. No mounting point on the new cylinders, just on the end of the rod with both line connections at the top of the cylinders. Needless to say I am still looking. Inside the door the build tag has 10/85. I`m wondering if this makes a difference in cylinders. Also there is no tag stating the convertible top installer/manufacturer. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks Rod

New cylinder on the left old on the right. Thanks Rod

Your car would be a Hess and Eisenhardt conversion most likely; the Jaguar factory convertibles did not enter production until mid 1988 model year. As they were located in the US (Cincinnati), parts are generally GM or Ford parts from that era.
Search the site for Hess and Eisenhardt; perhaps someone will have the correct application.

2 Likes

Thanks I`ll look at a few places and let you know what I find out.

I ordered a couple cylinders from HYDROELECTRIC on Ebay . The ones they sent that were supposed to fit, were 5/8" smaller in diameter and 3/4" shorter as well as a different mounting style. I sent those back and working with Paul at Hydroe we figured that they would also fit a Toyota. They made 2 for me and when I received them I found that the bottom mounting hole was 3/8" not 1/2" like I needed and the line connection on the top of the cylinders were in the wrong position so they hit the framework of the top when connected. I got the okay from Paul to try and turn at the crimps which I did with some caution and effort and I now have them aligned and tomorrow I will redrill the holes. So that is where I stand with the lift cylinders. I will update if I have a problem drilling the holes out but I don`t anticipate any problems. All in all looks like they will work. Thanks for the input. Rod

1 Like

Finally, the cylinders are in and work great. There were two installers of these tops Hess and Eisenhart and I thinks it was Carcraft. If you dont have the HR sticker on your door post or find it anywhere else Im thinking that its a Carcraft which has different set of cylinders. I ordered the HR cylinders on ebay and they werent even close. Different mounting, size of cylinders everything. You can`t make them work. I suggest measuring yours before ordering. Also I had to fill through a hole in the end of the reservoir . It had a rubber plug in it and was a real bear to get out without ruining it. Thanks all for your interest. Rod

1 Like

Glad to hear you finally got it sorted!