Convertible top rear wood rack strip install

just purchased the wood strips from osji.
any tips or tricks to install the 3 piece wood tack strips?
does the wood need to be trimmed to fit?
orientation of the wood screws?
and how is the vinyl folded over?
my upholstery guy has never done an etype.

Mine needed to be trimmed, I used a belt sander so that I could sneak it in, then repainted the wood.

When I purchased the car it had fairly large screws going in from the outside, through the wood, into the metal. This left a bunch of sharp points into the cabin, which were behind the interior panels, but still pushed them out. I changed to smaller screws from the inside out, which worked well, and made for a much cleaner installation. I suspect a previous owner had found the holes in the wood unable to hold it in place and compensated. I don’t know for certain which is correct, perhaps others will chime in.

I didn’t fold the vinyl over, figured it would just trap water. I trimmed it off at the bottom of the wood, and covered the edge with the bead (otherwise why have the bead?). Again I don’t know what is historically correct, just did that which seemed to work and look good.

I did wrap mine. followed directions and advice I found doing a lot of research on all the forums.

I used one large piece of the vinyl and glued it to the side sandwiched to the car, then wrap it around up and over the top, finally glueing it to the inside of the car. with a little patience and stretching you shouldnt have to cut slits in it to fold. the tack strips are held on by small slotted screws from inside the car.

One mistake I made was to trust that the hook cut outs were in the right place. they are not. so the inboard depressions on mine ended up too far outboard to use.

Mine did not need any trimming, but yours may vary.

Everyone should be reminded… when you take anything off, save the old pieces until the new are installed. That way you will know how to install, and in what order and how.

LLoyd

“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”

Physicist Niels Bohr

1 Like

Definitely had to trim mine. I ordered from a couple different vendors and kept the one that fit best, but it still required an hour or so of careful sanding. I used a large size dremel sanding drum so I could end of up with a precise fit. Since the vinyl wraps around the bottom of the wood I had to use a test piece of that material to make sure enough room was left for it, with the wood still being able to be inserted to a good depth in the channel. You don’t want it to protrude too much and to be even across the car.

Mine is attached from the inside out using flat head brass wood screws and the vinyl gets wrapped over the heads and is glued down to the inside of the tub.

1 Like

Mine appeared to be threaded nails but who knows.

Probably ring shank nails.

1 Like

any close up pix of the finished vinyl wrap at the ends?

Here is what I did, but I don’t think it is very critical since this ens under the top.

ran into a hiccup with the wood tack. it comes in 3 pieces. right, left and center. SNG sent two left hand pieces. and they are very rough in shape which would require much riddling, so now i am considering the plastic tack strip. does anybody have experience with it? does it need to be shaped and does it have the cutouts for the four J hooks?
ed

1 Like

There is a lot of variation in the timber ones between vendors. I ordered from three, and returned two, keeping the closest fit. It’s been too long to remember which was which though.

just learned that SNG has stop shipment order on their wood tack strip until problem is figured out.

Gary, any pix of the placement of the chrome strip in place? is it centered on the wood strip?
thanks
ed

Centered side to side certainly, but not top to bottom. There is a rubber or vinyl bead that goes under the chrome trim and the bottom of that bead is meant to sit against the paint. It’s easiest to fit if you punch screw holes in it and glue it to the back of the chrome to hold it in place. There should already be holes in the body to receive the screws unless they were filled for body work. It would be best to try and reuse them. It takes some careful planning and examination.

thank you erica. the original rubber/vinyl beading on my car is very small compared to what vendors are selling. mine is solid in cross section whereas the new ones are hollow making it unsightly at the ends.

Tagging onto this thread.

What parts of the tacking strip and long/short wood pieces/tip frame mounting hardware need to be installed before the interior/carpet etc? Noticing in a lot be pics only thing installed already is dynamite material.

Car @ interior shop now and need to know correct order as they will not be installing convertible top.

I will however have to have frame and wood strips etc installed for vinyl top guy as he doesn’t do that part

Thanks all.

The entire interior can be installed prior to the top as long as:
-The tack strip is installed with a wrap of interior vinyl around it, screwed into place from the inside, and then the vinyl wrapped over the rear vertical piece of the interior. (See my hands waving…)

See this thread for photos.

I would recommend not using the wood tack strip as it will eventually disintegrate. It can’t be seen once installed so no points deduction in concours. There are a few alternatives made of hard rubber (even one that uses a fan belt) that would work.

1 Like

The vinyl that wraps around the tack strip dangles down inside and gets hidden behind those aluminum panels that wrap around the rear. I redid my tack strips when the interior was fully trimmed out. I just had to remove those aluminum strips.

BTW, if your dad bought new aluminum strips instead of retrimming the originals, they may need to be trimmed down. Mine were half an inch too wide and stuck up too high, ruining the appearance.

1 Like