Converting to modern Alternator/Battery

I want to convert my 54 xk120 to a modern alternator from the generator it came with, does any one have experience with doing that? What 12v battery fits in the stock battery box?

Bob

Bob:

I have no experience converting to an alternator, but I use an Odyssey PC 925 12V battery and while mine is located in the boot there are those on the list who have found that it will fit into the original battery wells on an XK120. The dimensions are: 6.5" X 7" X 4.5".

Chris.

On my latest SS I used one of the alternators that are hidden in a Lucas generator-like body] I did it because they are lighter.I also had them machine the lines on the outside like the original Lucas Special equipment Generators have The bodies are aluminium.

For the battery I just bought a light weight racing solid battery and used the Lucas bakelite battery cover to hide it.

I used a powerlite alternator. I used the dynamo bracket and made a top bracket as shown. The fan belt you need will depend on what pulleys are fitted on the crank and water pump.

I’ve only fitted two “Dynators”. One of the things I liked about them is that (on the ones I was working with) the pulley shaft and front plate were the same as the original Lucas genny, so it was a doddle to swap the pulley and spacer to get the belt lined up.

You do need to check and uprate the wiring and ammeter if you go with a higher output Dynator than the original. You can get away with putting 60A through a 30A meter and wiring if your battery is fully charged and you don’t add headlamps etc, but if you end up with a dead flat battery one night and get the car started by jumping/bump starting, then turn on all the loads and just drive off to charge the battery… then you might have issues “down the road”.

The dummy regulator boxes are worth the extra couple of dollars, but I’m not sure if they would fit the XK physically. You can also just rearrange connections to achieve the same end.

Each to his own , but I like the way the local ones here would be almost impossible to pick from genuine one.
For the serious cheap , one could even put the original oval plate on … hmmm , must remember that.

I hesitate to show these because I used so many non-standard parts. The alternator is a Denso originally made for a Kubota diesel tractor. I bought a Artec Industries mount for an Odyssey 925 battery and bolted it to the side of the frame near the starter. Because this required removal of the stud for the RHD brake pedal and master cylinder mount, this won’t work for RHD.

Bob

I converted my 150 to using a modern alternator, and I have a small gel type battery in one of the battery boxes. I also converted to negative ground in the process.

Len Wheeler

Tucson, AZ

I converted my XK140 when I had to add an electric fan. I used a Lucas 60 amp unit that fit easily. If I was doing it again I would have an alternator built into the C42 generator case. You will need to change to negative ground (easy) and wire the “one wire” alternator to the battery directly as the wiring cant handle 60 amps (easy). The new alternators don’t use a voltage regulator box as that is now internal, and have the idiot light connection for the dash charge light. You will need to disconnect your old voltage regulator.
All this can be changed back to original in about an hour. The difference is huge for safety.