Cool Cat Otter Switch Replacement - Company still exist?

Hi - I wanted to know if anyone has ordered and received one the CoolCat replacement otter switches recently. I’ve used them in the past but the website is pretty old-fashioned and with all the data issues lately I wanted to be sure the company still exists before I start filling those old forms with my personal info.

I could make one of those things but by the time I got the tap, drill bit, sensor and gasket I’d be into it for nearly the $39 it costs.

I tried to call them and got voice mail.

Thanks!
~Mike

Mike just posted here last week in a thread about cooling fans. Try sending him an e-mail

So’s my car, so am I, I guess.

But when I see a URL that leads off with “https://www” I think I am okay ordering items.

No worries here, I recently ordered a replacement switch from their web page and it arrived two weeks ago. It’s well designed and the adapter plate was a prefect fit. I couldn’t be more pleased with their product or their service.
Anthony

Ordered my otter switch upgrade in September last year… arrived promptly and works very well.

Thanks @EtypeLvr & @John_Walker . Glad to hear you got it Anthony and they’re still making that great part.

@Ahwahnee that’s not foolproof, now-a-days it’s not a problem for hackers to generate fake SSL certificates - This kind of trick works best on some of these small business sites. So always better safe than sorry on the web.

~Mike

Thanks Ole and everyone. Just spoke to Mike at CoolCat and ordered one.

Mike, I agree. The way I limit potential problems is to use a dedicated credit card for on-line purchases that has a very low credit limit. Just my simple method of damage control. Although I have noticed that most cards have a policy of covering users for fraudulent activity provided you’re not careless with it. Or so they say.

Mike, I ordered a radiator from cool cat at 3pm and it arrived the next day, when I call and leave a message I receive a call back from Mike Frank. He stands by everything he sells. I highly recommend cool cat.
Frank 63 coupe

I do the exact same thing Anthony! Great minds think alike :slight_smile:

@Bar_One Thanks Frank. Its been a few years since I got anything from CoolCat but everything I bought in the past was great.

~Mike

Mike, I ordered mine a couple of days ago and installed it in my 69 S2 today.

First though I tested it in a saucepan with a light bulb and 12 v battery circuit. The light came ON at 192 ­­F and OFF at 175 F. In the car the fans come on at 192 F and they haven’t turned off by themselves yet because the engine hasn’t cooled below 175 F yet. However if I turn the engine off and then back on the fans stay off until 192 F, so that seems strange.

Andy

Hi Andy, that does seem strange… like a wiring/ground issue possibly.

My application for the switch is gonna be in a triple SU manifold on a Series 1 XJ6. It’s gonna be controlling my custom Spal electric fan set-up so I’ll be making my own harness. As long as the sensor does what it’s supposed to in my set-up it should be good to go… No 50 year old harness or Lucas nonsense to worry about at least with that part of the car :slight_smile:

~Mike

I suppose the site could use some proof of life, but rest assured that it’s healthy. The software is updated regularly, card processing is always PA-DSS compliant, I use no tracking scripts and share no information with third parties other than my clearing bank. I keep card information only as long as it takes to process, and absolutely no payment information is stored on web-facing computers. That said, it’s still a one person operation, so you’ll just have to put up with my adorable eccentricities. E-mail me if you need something.

The turn-off temp of the switch is right, but might be a little too close to the closing point of your particular thermostat. I should probably move the low end up a couple of degrees.

Lucas gets a bad rap. If you don’t like Lucas stuff, try working on a car with Bosch electrics.

3 Likes

I agree with Mike on Lucas stuff. What fails in my opinion are the connection systems. I have three cars with Lucas electrical systems and all are running original gennys/alternators, starters etc. I have “in date” original ignition cois for each and they all still work. My E came with original coil fitted an operating when I bought it in '13. Just my AUD $0.02. Paul

“adorable eccentricities”, the use of that phrase alone is enough to bring a smile to my face.

1 Like

Even worse…Ducellier…:confounded:

When I posted that my fans did not turn off with the cool cat switch I was idling the car in the garage on a warm day and the temp did not fall below 175 F. On the road the fans turn off at 174 F which is the same temp when I tested the switch in the kitchen. It seems to work great.

Andy

Good idea, Mike. This means, I assume, that the mounting configuration for the E-type fan control Otter is the same as that for the Mark X hisser control Otter. Good to know.

Are you retaining a hisser and manually switching it or have you fitted jet-lowering manual chokes?

Hi Bob, I figured I gotta close up the hole for the otter somehow since I don’t have one. I’d either have to make a plate or find a way to use it for something and since I’m using an electric fan anyway this seemed like the way to go.

I’m still using the hisser but controlling it with the indicator light circuit on the choke lever. So basically to start the car you still pull the choke lever and the indicator will still remind you the hisser/choke is on.

~Mike