Cooling fan conversion V12

Your planned set-up should be perfectly adequate, Marty - but besides the fans, the radiator itself must be up to scratch…

As an aside; if the fans are allowed to freewheel in the slipstream when off; they generate power - which may ha undesired side effects. It’s usuall controlled by either positive fan braking or diodes…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hi Marty
I think I used an EB Fairmont twin large fan set up.
It was a very close fit on my 85 xjs v12 radiator.
Just had to cut some extra mounting bits off and flash some missing bits with aluminium sheet .
I think the EB may define the years…???
Regards
Matt

Marty
Also…the whole plastic shroud is screwed onto the radiator and misses everything. Just have to bend the tabs on the temp switch on the pump inlet to each side to get the connectors back on to the switch. Very tidy and easy to do. I’ll try and hunt out some photos.
Regards
Matt

Marty
Found some photos.

One shows the bits I cut off the original shroud. The other two show the bottom with some folded aluminium retaining brackets and the small screws which attach the top of the shroud.
The shroud can be removed by undoing the top screws and lifting the shroud out from the locating brackets
I’m fairly certain it was an EB Fairmont…but a trip to the wreckers will confirm it with this photo.
Regards
Matt

For what its worth, my '74 Series 2 V12 has both an electric fan and what the factory manual calls a Torquatrol unit and the Haynes manual calls a fluid coupling fan, which were standard equipment on mine. They are side by side to the rear of the radiator. The electric fan is controlled by a thermostat switch located in the water pump inlet and a relay located on the cross rail in front of the AC compressor.

surprised that there is no such option for a Jaguar.

Matt:

Nice work. and the third picture oughta convince any doubters.
Clunky yellow plastic mechanical fan in the upper left vs the neat
clean black fan assembly with the nice clean freshly painted black radiator. Impressive.

My lump cools via two “mystery brand” E fans in a shroud. controlled by a temperature sensor ion the water jacket and and the PCM to switch them on and off. In practice mostly off unless n a longer than a bit idle or in slow moving traffic on a very hot day. Car runs normal at the specified 100 C.

Of course, a lot of that is because of it’s big four row cross flow brass radiator. Old tech to be sure.

Carl

Thanks Carl
The secret is getting hold of the 2nd hand Ford cooling fan set up. If it remember right it was less than $100 and almost a perfect fit…and designed by the original Engineers to flow a lot of air without a lot of noise an not take up a lot of space.
Regards
Matt

I think EB was a big clutch fan and that these ones are EF/EL.

AU has them staggered and are deeper by 15mm

I e done this on an xj6. I used two kinda small pusher fans on the outside of the radiator and left the stick shroud thinking leaving the shroud would force the air entire radiator. Not sure if it worked or not.
Anyway that is what i did.