Cooling water inlet to block

Hi
We have an XK block from a 3.4 saloon Serial Number starting with KF and ending in -8
Looking at the water passage from the water pump the passage appears to go up and down however no hole / opening to the main chamber is present going down.
Should the cooling water flow down to the left side of the engine as well as up along the channel into the head?
Recommendations to open the passage if it has been corroded solid?

Regards
David

Water flows up one side of the block , up and through the head , and back down the other side !

Thanks for that, spent a while trying to clean it and understand the water flow path.

I cleaned a block out a few months back , left it over night with Carbolic soda in it , then hosed it out , took a good 15-20 min for the water to stop coming out Orange !!!

Same observation on my 140 block…no passage from water pump to block at all…just flow from pump to upper exhaust side of block, and into head…very strange, imo…no block circulation.

Precisely why have done this Lee! My thought is that only 1/3 to 1/2
of the water capacity is doing work. As we know, hot water rises to the
top, therefore, the cooler water at the base of the block does not come
into play. It will be some time before I will fire the engine up, so the
result of this mod is in the future, but I feel worth the work.
For longevity these engines are best kept under 75 degrees C, heat soak, of course a negative. To counter this two electric pumps are fitted which will remain running when the engine is shut down.
Electric fan/fans will be employed.
If the pump feeding the normal entry point has insufficient delivery,
the system is configured for a engine driven pump, .retaining the electric pump to the block.
Peter B.

I did a similar water circulation mod to my fresh rebuild, though less elaborate than yours. I simply channeled some of the water pump flow into each of the core plug openings on the exhaust side of block to force at least SOME cool water into the lower portion of the block, where it will flow thru the passages between the cylinders, then up thru the water passage slots and on into the intake side of the head, then out into the intake manifold. The problem was to NOT restrict the (current) amount of water flow too much into/out of the (hot) exhaust side of the head while still providing some lower block circulation.