Correct period toolkit?

Hello all,

Bought my XJ-S about two months ago and am trying to complete it with some missing bits.

I’m currently trying to identify which toolkit is the correct one? I have seen pictures from toolkits that are almost square and some others with are more rectangular. As my car is a XJ-S 5.3 convertible from 1990, I think the correct period one for mine will be the rectangular one, not the square one. Am I correct? Thus, looking at the pictures, I think the lower one is correct for my car.

Thank you
Guy

Hi. The lower one looks to be correct for the late Facelift but Im not sure if it also covers first Facelift cars. If your car is pre facelift I think the upper one is more likely to be correct. However there were small detail changes within the different box shapes as well such as screwdriver handle colour (black earlier red later) and the various cutouts for tools varied too. In the lower one the top left cutout was for a paint touch up kit. Colour and laquer. Im not sure if the box you show there has that. I dont think there were any fuses or fuse puller included but there should be a tyre guage. All spanners had a ‘Leaper’ on them and the green velour backing always seemed to stick to the back of the tool it was holding in place. Im sure others will correct me on any oversights but this is from my experience of a 95 coupe. Cheers. Richard.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the comments, have been away the last few days, taking out my new acquisition (the XJ-S) for a 1500km drive in France.
Looking at some documents I could find too, it seems indeed that Jaguar put quite some different models/types in the cars and the lower one seems to be the one closest to the model for my 1990 5.3 convertible, the contents can indeed vary a bit.

Regards,
Guy

Hi Guy. Thanks for your reply. Your trip around France sounds amazing. Its something I would love to do. Italy even more so. Where do you live? I have hopefully attached a photo of my tool box which I believe to be correct for my car which is a 95 big bumper second facelift. I think the black handled screwdriver is correct and the red one for first facelift. I think I got this wrong in my first reply. The kit was not with my car when I got it but something I am very pleased to have. Especially now as they are becoming very rare in good condition and more and more expensive! The touch up paint is wrong in mine as my car is Spruce, metallic green not red! Hopefully I will find one in the right colour although the only thing I have ever used from the kit has been the tyre pressure guage. Cheers. Richard.

Hi Richard,

FYI, I am living in Belgium, South-west from Brussels.
About the trip to France, in fact I own two other cars one is another Jag (an XK150) and also a Triumph TR4 and, as a member of the Belgian Triumph Club, we make a yearly trip to France … doing that for more than 15 years now. We also went once to Scotland, that was an amazing trip … really enjoyed it.
About the tool kit, seems like yours is almost correct, found some more documentation and they list yet another model, it seems that Jaguar has provided at least 4 different models forthe XJ(-)S cars.
Regards,
Guy