Correct position overdrive switch

I’m restoring an XK140SE with overdrive and found original trico PS-4A switches to replace the current one.
I want to come as close to original as i can. So i searches al sorts of books and documentation to find: on what side the switch should flip if the overdrive is turned on. On the car there is a metal circle that says overdrive in/out.

so my question is: should the switch when turned on(lightbulb is on) facing in or out?

You switch ‘in’ the overdrive so when the light is illuminated the toggle should be to the left.

Does the overdrive switch toggle horizontally or vertically? I don’t believe I have ever seen a toggle switch on an English car that wasn’t mounted to work vertically, but what do I know?

Its a long time since I drove my ‘S’ but I seem to recall it was positioned so that I could just flick the switch sideways to operate rather than up/down without moving my hand from the wheel. Also that tends to go with the legend on the bezel.
I had better clarify that this is on a car that I converted from the DG box about 28 years ago, on checking both the ‘S’ and MK11 drivers manual I note that the O/d is operated from a stalk on the steering column so take my thoughts however you wish :slight_smile:

That is also why i am going to replace the currect switch with an original trico PS-4A. And placing it so it is going horizontal.

illuminated OD switch was flicked left of right for in or out

This is the intermediate hold switch for the DG transmission, I will be replacing the bezel with the one from the O/d car on my ‘S’ type

Bob,

The overdrive switch is always mounted horizontally on Jaguar XKs. See more info on this switch here:
http://www.bobine.nl/jaguar/06-gearbox/trico-illuminated-overdrive-switch/
Jaguar opted for a green bulb in the Trico switch, not red.

Bob K.