Correct Shocks for Dayton Wire Wheels?

I’m running Pirelli P4000 215/70 ZR on 15 inch Dayton wires.
I haven’t weighed them but it seems that the Daytons are twice the weight of the original mags. that I changed out years ago. I’m now noticing a harsh ride (thump) on the suspension and I’m wondering if the shocks are up to the heavier wheels. Any thoughts and or recommendations ?

Since you had no initial trouble, Derek, it might be just ordinary wear and tear - wheel weight is not really a major factor…

Have you ‘bumped’ the car as crude indication of shock status? An inspection of the shock bushes may also reveal something - harsh ride quality is not really a shock responsibility, but thumping means something is not tight. You may need a closer inspection of the front (or rear) suspension parts…?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks Frank, but was thinking that the extra wheel weight would put more stress on the shocks over time and the XJ6’s are heavy to start with. I have 79,000 on the car. The rear shocks are the original. There is about 40,000 on the front (the make I can’t remember). with no major ‘pot holes’ to contend with.
Was wondering if there was any recommendations for replacements and what my fellow owners were using ?

There are no shock specifications related to wheel weight, Derec. It’s the springs that carry the weight of the car - and it is the weight of the car that smooth the ride over bumps. The weight of the wheel doesn’t really affect the shocks - but sprung weight sort of influences the ride…

So shocks are specified for the car, and there are lots of choices - from the well known to more obscure makers. The basic difference in shocks is how they resist movement, from ‘soft’ to ‘hard’ - which relates to ride quality, hence some prefer adjustables…at a price. The harder the shocks the more road bumps are transferred to the body - it’s sort of personal preferences; ‘one mans meat is another mans poison’. You may get plenty of different feedback - but only driving can tell you what suits you…after fitting them :slight_smile:

Push down hard and repeatedly on a corner of the car, when you stop the body should settle immediately - confirming the shock is working. If the body oscillates a couple of times; the shock is definitely shot - repeat on all corners. This is a rough and ready test; mileage is no indication - some shocks lasts and lasts, others don’t. And if a shock is leaking it should be replaced, of course…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks Frank , it’s going in the shop next week for some minor stuff.