Correct V belt?

I have just spent the best part of the afternoon struggling with what should have been a 10 minute job - changing the V belt driving the water pump and steering pump. I released the pump strap and pushed the pump back for maximum slack, pushed the tensioner up against its spring and slipped the old belt off. Trying to get the Jaguar branded part No EAC1348 on again was all but impossible; by removing the bolt clamping the pump strap to the head and slacking off the tensioner bolt the new belt went on eventually but then it was impossible to lever out the pump far enough to get the head/strap bolt holes to line up again.

The belt I took off was 1215mm long on the outside, but the replacement belt was only 1175mm - 40mm (just over 1.5 inches) shorter. Checking on line 1175 seems correct for C28956 (superseded by EAC 1348) so I can only think one of the pulleys has been replaced with a larger one - unless I am doing something daft?

Frankie

Frankie,

You did not mention the year, model, or engine type of the Jaguar you are working on so I will assume it is a Series III XJ6 with a 4.2L XK engine like my stock 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas.

I have two power steering pumps removed from their engines for an engine swap and sitting on the floor of my garage. The diameter of both power steering pulleys (not inside the V groove) measures about 4 1/4 inches across. What is the diameter of your pulley?

BTW I agree with the size of the V belt as the new one I have here awaiting installation measures roughly 46" (1168 mm) long at the outside circumference.

If you are not working on a Series III XJ6 these measurements may not pertain to your car.

Paul

Frustrating, no doubt.

It’s not unusual for parts listings/cataloging to become corrupt as info is transferred from one database or medium to another over the course of years…and doubly so when one part number supersedes another

I hate sounding flippant but to go through this much struggle for a belt replacement is silly. Take the old belt to the closest auto parts store and get one that’s the correct length and be done with it. There’s nothing unusual or exotic about Jaguar drive belts. They’re just…belts.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

YUP!!!

That is my preferred method !!

However, when I restored my little Atlas Lathe, I had no original belt or motor!1 Not to mention that I created my own metal pad to serve as a mount point for the jack stand and motor.

Sacrilege. I had a belt or two left from the old Jaguar engine. One was the right sheave size!! So, I cut out a section and fitted it. Reached way back to old belt tech. Stapled it together.

My intention was to use it as a pattern when I visited the only shop in town with a collection of belts that might work. Far too small for any auto belt. SOG, it is still in place and works just right!!!

Carl

The “make your own v-belt” material is very cool and easy to use. It vibrates less than a regular belt too. The only disadvantage is that it is pricey. But it saves the hassle of finding a belt. And of course, once assembled it makes a perfect “pattern” for replacement with a regular belt. Then, you can reuse it.

https://www.amazon.com/AUSPA-Power-Twist-V-Belt-2-Inch/dp/B075WRBHXB

Nothing daft, Frankie - the belt must be too short…

Have you tried refitting the old belt, to confirm that that seems to be the problem?

If so, a longer belt is called for, for whatever reason…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I did this when I bracketed up my Sanden A/C compressor. Three iterations ofnear misses and success with generic FLAPS belt. No dramas.

Paul. In my annoyance and frustration last night I forgot the basics! 1971 S1 4.2 without aircon. Looking on line again SNGB list the same belt for S1 S2 and S3. My pump pulley diameter is about 4.5 inches measured at the rim - I wonder…

Doug. I have ordered a selection of belt lengths and will proceed by trial and error. One of the reasons for replacing the belt was my feeling that it was a bit on the long side - a lot of “bounce” in the tensioner pulley with the engine idling.

Thanks all.

Frankie

Frankie,
My Series III XJ6s do not have a tensioner and they use the EAC1348 belt for the power steering. Your Series I XJ6 has a tensioner and so the belt has to be longer than the EAC1348.

Paul

Thank you Doug and Paul. I have learnt something here - don’t assume the parts catalogues are correct!!

I’ll see if SNGB will give me a credit then - (belt came from them in the first place). Hey Ho!

Frankie

Given the massive troubles I experienced with catalogs listing the wrong size belts, that was my SOP.

Agree. A slick device, but as you say, pricey.

The 'weakness" in my ancient Troy Bilt Chipper shredder is the drive belt. Really tough stiff Kevlar units prescribed. Although the last session was the small one using a conventional cord and rubber belt. It as was its predecessor will be devoured…

I have a Kevlar one to install when it does.

IDEA !!!

One of the “reality” shows I enjoy is “Gold Rush”. One of the giant devices that sift out the gold from the “pay” is named “Big Red”.

I am gong to name my Chipper Shredders after it. Big Red and little Red. Big Red powered by a simple 8 HP B&S. Little Red repowered by a 6 HP Predator. An HF knock off of a Honda OHV. Lots of guts…

Carl

Carl