Corrosion on tubing

I was looking at the top of the engine and noticed little white spots on the galvanized tubing… never happened before…we have had an unusual winter with 30⁰ swings overnight all winter…it looks like a galvanic reaction… Will try to clean by rubbing with a ss chore boy…it’s almost like sand paper in spots…car is
![IMG_20230331_065024948|375x500](upload://xq30XfCaF6GqnUma

OjEvfpgQ30L.jpeg)
always inside… hasn’t been drove ever in winter

Try 0000 steel wool too.

ok thanks… has this happened to anyone else

I have seen that type of corrosion on some of my former parts cars and other cars in junkyards that have been out in the elements. There is a thin plating on those parts that protect them from corrosion. I wouldn’t use steel wool to clean off the corrosion but something like kitchen sponges with nylon cleaning pads. Otherwise you might remove more of the protective plating and make matters worse for the future. Eastwood’s sells a three color (gold, red, green) paint kit that looks pretty close to the original cadmium plating used on these parts. I have used it with some success before but it takes a while to develop the correct technique. Also it is a paint, so also it will protect from corrosion it is more easily scratched.

Paul

1 Like

My car used to suffer from fluctuating temperatures causing condensation. I can think of two ways to stop this from happening.
Heat the building so the temperature stays fairly constant.
Install a dehumidifier that only comes on with rising temperatures to stop the condensation. That is what I have done.
I use Mothers Aluminum polish on the shiny bits on my engine. This picture is a few years old, but you get the idea.

Happened to my XJ12. Popped the hood and there was condensation all over.

In the same garage as my XJ6 and never had a problem with condensation on the XJ6. I had thought about starting a topic asking for suggestions on limiting under his condensation but never did. I started leaving the hood open.

I did see this when I was searching for solutions (no affiliation or endorsement, just something I found while browsing):

I’m not sure what the gel actually is, or if it would help on steel.

Mine has these spots too…that balance pipe is only steel with a painted clear coat. The coat eventually wears away.

we had in Iowa freezing then overnight to 70⁰… rain… snow …tornado… all in One day and today 32⁰

Here in western Washington, it was cloudy, then drizzled, then cloudy again. :wink: