Cosworth Sierra Transmission

Good evening e type family, I had my brother in law send me a five speed from a Cosworth Sierra for my Ford Anglia, but I’m thinking of installing it i my E, has anyone here tried installing one of these trans, it so what is expected and how does it perform? Any challenges with the bell housing etc? Any help will be appreciated…

If I’m mistaken someone please step in, but I believe these gearboxes form the basis of the Broadsport 5-speeds that have been installed in E-types recent. I have one in mine.

If the gearbox was from a 2wd Sierra Cosworth RS, it’s a T5 transmission - so what applies to all the T5 / E-type adaptations applies.

If it’s from the later Sierra RS Cosworth 4x4, then it’s a MT75 box - which I believe is what the Broadspeed box is based off of.

Dave

Here is the datasheet that was included in my Guy Broad 5-speed.
Details in large paragraph in the middle of the page

Thanks Craig is there a kit that can be purchased to mount the trans and can the bell housing be used for that purpose? Are their other parts to be purchased if a kit is not available like the drive shaft flange etc>

Garth

I haven’t yet attached the trans to the engine - much less installed them in my Jag – so I am not the best source for those questions.
The bell housing is supposed to be a direct bolt-up to the trans – see last photo which shows the 7 studs (one is hidden by the shaft) and the baggie has mounting nuts and washers.

These photos may help – not pictured is the clutch disc and speedo cable the trans came with:

How does the speedometer take-off work? Does it take a standard Ford gear? Angle drive?

Mike

Sorry for the delay in responding – adulting got in the way.

It does not appear to have an angle drive on the case. On my original trans, there is a fitting protruding from the passenger rear side of the the case; on the Guy Broad trabs, there is a recess.

Photos tell the tale - with captions

I think that if you remove the plug on the left side, you can then remove the speedometer driven gear. The gears are available with various numbers of teeth, which allows you to adjust the drive to match the speedometer. Just in case they didn’t choose the correct gear for you. Example:

https://www.motomobil.com/en/products/gearbox-manual-speedometer-driving-pinion-5-speed-gearbox-typ-61773250-1

Caterham Cars were using the old speedo drive with right-angle drive, and various driven gears, many years after Ford discontinued it. They also used the end fitting pictured, with a custom cable from Speedograph Richfield UK. I’m talking 25 or more years ago so this information may have no current value!

If it’s a 5 speed from a Ford Sierra it could be a T9 which would be unsuitable for the Jag but great for a less powerful engine like an MGA or MGB. If you post a photo of the gearbox it would be helpful.

Andy

The key word is “Cosworth.” Those will be either a T5 or a MT-75. If it’s a Cosworth Sierra T5, it might be worth a lot more to a 2WD Cosworth Sierra owner than as a Jag retrofit.

The T5s installed on the Cosworth 2wd Sierras were specially made. The T5 was plenty strong for the application, but had some unwanted behaviors at the high revs that the Cosworth-motored Sierras ran at. Ford had the T5s for this application built on a special production line.

Dave

1 Like

Craig that’s a beautiful piece of eye candy, by all let us know how it feels i fifth gear etc cheers!