Coupe tailgate weather stripping question

I’m having some bad flashbacks to a project that I undertook on a 1982 Corvette Collectors Edition to replace the weatherstripping. The ordeal was not in removing the old rubber, it was cleaning as much of the glue and rubber debris from the body channel as I could.

I’m now faced with replacing the weatherstripping from the tailgate of my 69 FHC. Any pointers on how to handle this project and/or what to use to remove as much of the old glue and rubber pieces as possible?

Also what kind of adhesive should be used to put the new weatherstripping in place?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Bob,
3M makes a very effective adhesive remover that I can recommend. 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 08984. After pulling away as much as you can of the rubber and glue, rub the remover on the remaining glue with a rag, turning it frequently, to melt/remove the glue. It takes patience but you’ll get it all off if you stick with it.

When installing new weatherstrip I use 3M Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive.

3 Likes

Thank you. I spotted those products on AutoZone last night and wondered how good they might be. I’ll head there later today to pick both products up!

Bob

I’ve had success with mineral spirits and a toothbrush. It’s never bothered the paint.

I’ve got a can of the 3M™ General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner 08984 John mentions above but I found it too aggressive to the paint; the Jaguar applied original Op Silver in the boot. That’s not to say it won’t work for you. I’m just relating my experience.

1 Like

If you find the 3M product too aggressive (or expensive - the price on that stuff has soared in the last 10 years along with the cost of other mineral-based degreaser/wax removers) you can use Goo Gone.

This is the orangey-smelling product commonly found in hardware stores and departments. It is not quick acting, but doesn’t evaporate fast. Apply the Goo Gone and cover it with some cellophane food wrap and come back after a few hours.

Then use a plastic scraper to peel it off. I use something called a “spudger”, which is a plastic chisel-like tool used to take smart phones and other electronic devices apart. These are small and handy enough to get into weather strip channels, but sturdy enough to scrape out the glue.

Dave

1 Like

I purchased the mineral spirits at Home Depot today and the 3M adhesive for installation at AutoZone. That messy project will likely wait until Monday.

Thanks for the advice.

Bob

Mineral Spirits worked wonders. It took a bit of elbow grease but the tailgate channel is clean enough to eat off of! I used a brush to keep it wet with mineral spirits and then used a plastic scraper (actually its a Harbor Freight upholstery tool surrounded by a red shop rage wet with the mineral spirits. It took a couple of hours, but everything came off.

i just got done masking all the paint and the interior black plastic trim off, tomorrow I put down the adhesive and insert the weather stripping!