Coupe windscreen width?

End of the day and the UPS guy drags up a big box with my new windscreen! Hey I am happy!, so up on the bench and unbox it like Christmas, and all looks good, except it’s a good 5/16 wider at the widest measurment than my stock one on the other bench. Is this normal? Which one is correct? I could not find any measurements in a site search. Before I send it back it would be good to know what a standard width for a coupe screen should be.

here are measurement of my original and one that was sent to me, have had 5 windshields sent out now and all are to wide, currently using the scratched original

1 Like

Although not without any value, the linear distance across the face of the glass is only part of the story. Of major importance are the dimensions across the back of the glass as that tells you whether it has been bent properly and that is the reason so many screens can’t be fit. The old forms are failing and causing them to be insufficiently bent.

Karl if your new glass is wider across the back, then save yourself an incredible headache and don’t bother. I messed with mine for months the trying to install a screen that was 3/8 wider at the bottom when measured across the back. It could go into the seal and be zipped up with some struggle, but there was no way that the trim would go on it.

I know that Pilkington has had issues with the S1 OTS and FHC forms and it was supposedly fixed a couple years ago. It wouldn’t surprise me if the S2 forms are having issues also.

Roger, Erica,

thanks for the explicit diagram. Much appreciated. My original widest point measure is 50-3/8" the new screen ( Pilkington ) 50-11/16…
Manufactured 12/18, not only too wide, but flat across the bow, and does not follow the cowl.

Been working on it for 5 hours now. Had it in and out twice. My best fit now has actual 1/4" gaps mostly closed. It’s just a crappy fit. I don’t like it. I’m stuck now, wondering should I caulk it in , and try to fit trim… or will I just end up pulling the whole mess out. Very UN satisfying. Some sections are forced proud, others pulled in… I have no idea what an acceptable fit is.

1 Like

Try offering up your trim. I’d be surprised if they fit right with that glass protruding on the sides.

As it sits, I have about an1/8th " seal overlap on glass and body lip at the left and right ends. 2/3 of the rest of it sits deep. I can not get it better. Is it reasonable to assume the urethane window and body sealant will cure most of the ills?, the ends are captured by the A pillar trim. Is that a fair compensation/ remedy?. Or just bodgy work?

I guess I will have to do a total “dry” mock up including seal lock and chromed trim to know. What a frustration.

I used to have a rusty basket case 66 FHC that I was going to restore. When I found my rust free 68 I ended up selling the 66 but the buyer was not interested in me wrapping up the windshield to send with the rest of the parts removed from the car. It still sits in a safe corner of my house with a 1978 Texas state inspection sticker on it (along with a couple of Vega windshields since they were hard to find even 20 years ago). Sure am glad now that he did not want it in case something bad happens to the one in the 68.

David
68 E-type FHC

Just got off phone with XKs, they were kind enough to walk out to the warehouse and measure two windshields for me. Both were 1/2" wider than my original.
Also spoke with my sales guy at SNG, he is out measuring as well, but he stated, that this is the “correct size” and that Pilkington has come to them and installed one of these to demonstrate how to fit one…
I am wondering if the two anomalies I have are connected. The lack of correct bow, and the overwide returns.
If I pull in slightly on the returns, it does but a bow in the middle…solving both problems. I’m wondering if the problem is in the assembly of the two laminates.

when I installed my original it slide right in with no issues. perfectly curved and the fit right on. I am going to run the original until the glass guys get this corrected,

If you install it under tension with a bow, a crack won’t be long in forming. FYI, I bought mine direct from Pilkington, and they wouldn’t accept it back until I’d struggled with it for quite a while and also sent photos of how far it protruded once installed. I even let Classic Jaguar attempt to install it and they said no way was it ever going in.

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking the same thing. Got to go in " static".

Apparently the thinking at Pilkington is to manufacture the average. With the variations of these cars, there was a variety small variatiants available for assembly. Those of us with narrow windscreen openings, are screwed. My opening is narrow by 5/16" I’m splitting it to 5/32 a side.
I have spent the last day and a half fitting the one I received. Removed dash, and interior upper windshield trim. They were both serious impediments to fit. Got much better after they were moved.
I did a complete dry run with trim, and as long as I am extremely careful, with all parts, I believe I can solve this puzzle. The deviation will hide behind “A” post trim. I carefully bent the front lip to a more flat profile, and will well caulk all components.

Karl,
Just for refference, my original screen is 50 3/8" at its widest point and the Pilkington one I have fitted is 50 5/8" wide; 1/16"smaller than yours.
I did struggle to fit it, but I think that that was because I was doing it on my own.

Seems to fit reasonably well, although I havent fitted the chromes yet.

Paul

SI and SII ,OTS and FHC, windshields are different ?

It’s done…

if someone wants 100$ to put it in…pay them…if someone wants 200$ to put it in…pay them…

1 Like

What if they want $250?

I’m still paying…and I’m a cheap bastard…who else builds a jag thinking he’s going to save some money???

Paul, because of the large amount of urethane I used , glass to seal, seal to body, I didn’t want delay installing trim. The seal can move around some on the body, and the glass while urethane has not set, and greatly help to conform to the trim shape.
I hole you don’t have trouble installing yours!

Roger, thank you for your picture’s about the front windscreen, so it is good to measure it when buying. I have to install it in my project e type FHC 1963 and can buy it in Germany. Can drive there to check it out, first.
Frank Holland.

A friend of mine just paid $1800 to have his windshield from XK ($650) installed in his S3 OTS. I thought that was a bit steep.