Couple of Veneer Piece Questions

Seeing how badly faded Superblack’s pieces are (esp. the shifter piece, which is almost yellow) I have been looking at those “applique” kits designed to cover them. If I had a few extra $100s (or $Ks?) laying around, I would buy new (if available) or “refurbished” pieces, but alas I’m going to have to go with one of the recovering kits instead. :frowning_face: I have to admit I found what looks like a very good one, with all pieces included, for under $170.00. This particular kit - the vendor claims that their kit has superior “stick” b/c you don’t apply a separate adhesive to the old pieces first. Instead, they supply some towelettes that are saturated with some kind of powerful cleaning solution. Use those first on the old pieces, and then stick the new ones on top of them (the adhesive is on the backside of the new pieces - “peel and stick”, I guess) and they are like one piece. I did ask them about old pieces like mine that have some loose or even very small missing areas of veneer, and whether sticking the new ones over those would result in an “un-level” look to the surface of them, but no response. :grimacing:

Anyway, anyone’s experiences, thoughts, caveats, etc. with those type of kits?

My second question, which may seem a bit odd, but then I have never owned or even looked inside anything but many-years-old Jags - is the “phony” wood veneer that is used on the instrument panel behind the lens (and, yes, I’ve heard it is plastic - that’s why it NEVER fades :open_mouth: ) supposed to look just like and match the veneer on the dash when the car is new? Somehow I can’t imagine the wood veneer pieces ever actually being THAT dark :crazy_face:

The ski slope is the worst culprit, mine had bits missing that no amount of cleaning solution on a moist towelette would fix. Best bet would be to strip it back to the bare metal and go from there.

I’ve just had my instrument panel apart and could inspect that “veneer”, yes it is plastic. It is somewhat shielded from the sun, more so than the rest of the interior wood, and could be subject to fading, but it is difficult to tell without trying it. If you want to see what your veneer used to look like then take off the cubby latch that holds down the back of the ski slope. You will then see the original, unfaded colour.

I’m in the process of fixing my own cracked veneer, but that project is on hold until I get back to the UK in a couple of weeks. I understand that the main facia pieces around the vents are attached with spring clips, but they seem very reluctant to be levered off. Is there some trick to it, or just brute force?

I was looking through archives and links therein some time ago and came across a video or photo d ialogue about releasing those spring clips. I think it was one if the veneer suppliers

Thanks, Cosmopolitan. Re: stripping the veneer – how do you (safely) do that? :confused:

It’s not too difficult to strip the veneer off the ski slope. See Edd China’s method. I held it down firmly and then used a chisel to chip it off. Wear safety goggles as the chunks of veneer will fly off in all directions. You will marvel at the way some parts have easily delaminated from the metal, and how tenacious the glue is in other areas.

Use a sanding mechanism of your choice to remove the old glue and get a smooth finish. I would imagine that you would need to be more careful with the wood backed pieces so that you don’t gouge the underlying base material.

1 Like

If you need a new one i have (4 speed trany) i can send you few pictures…