Covered headlights for series 2

I am a newbie and would like to convert the headlights on my 1969 roadster to covered headlights. I have run across old posts discussing Marek and Wahl conversion kits but I am not sure what the current thinking is on these or other kits. Can someone help me out?

I ve recently converted my series 3 using Monocoque sheet metal. Love the results and the fact that it uses genuine series 1 glass and trim

It takes quite a bit of work but in my case we had some rust to address on the bonnet anyway

2 Likes

Marek’s kit:

1 Like

Wow, the Monocoque looks great but I don’t think I want to redo the bonnet since mine is in good repair.
The Marek conversion looks good too and, if I understand correctly, is fairly straightforward to install. Will investigate the Marek conversion kit first. Not sure where to find them but will look on web. Bob, if you have a suggested source, feel free to send me a link so I can check it out.
Thanks for helping me out
George

@MarekH, you’re being paged!

There’s a series two for sale in NZ that has been converted - not sure I like the “thin” strip.

It certainly is a personal choice: I think the fat factory frames look like a kloodge, whereas the thin strips look more refined… and open up more exit area for the light.

Whatever you decide to do, Marek or Wahl, be prepared for some work testing your patience. Sorry can’t talk about the Wahl kit, I’ve only installed the other.
The result however, is very rewarding.

1 Like

How hard is it to convert a Series 1.5 ? Is just a matter of swapping parts/hardware ?

Thanks Pete for your reply

The Wahl and Marek kits are designed to convert the S2 and S3 headlamp openings once their pods are removed. The openings of the S1.5 are different. Marek says his kits are not for the S1.5 at all, while Wahl’s kits can be made to fit with bonnet surgery. Part of the attraction of either conversion on an S2 or 3 is reversibility, so having to cut into your original S1.5 bonnet detracts somewhat. I understand that the Monocoque Metalworks kit replicating the S1 treatment can be glued in place without cutting into the S1.5 bonnet, so ostensibly reversible, but even Chuck Hadley expresses ambivalence about trading off the slim S1.5 chrome surrounds for the S1 kludge (with apologies to those whose tastes differ). Personally, I think the S1 bonnet with slim chrome trim surrounding glass covers, like the earlier XK-SS, would be the most aesthetically pleasing configuration of all

with added advantages like seals that actually keep water out, but it would have added to costs, and the bean counters prevailed.

1 Like

You Canucks.

All just little radicals, aintcha?

:grin:

I have a '70 Roadster that I converted a number of years ago using OEM glass and chrome surrounds.
The only real mod was to get a set of Series 1 scoops and cut a circular hole (approx 5" dia.) in the inner bonnet bulkhead panel which is part of the rear light housing. This bulkhead has a round sheet metal disk with headlight bump already tack welded to the bulkhead piece and so I only had to cut out the center of the bump on this tack welded disk allowing for an easy reversal if I ever wanted to go back to the open lights. The cutout allowed me to inset the headlight housing assembly rearward so as to provide clearance for the Series 1 glass.
Attaching the chrome surround did require a few sheet metal automotive clips and a couple of screw holes easily within the indented surround which would never show even if converting back over to open headlights under the thinner trim pieces.
Lastly I used the thicker aftermarket rubber seals under the chrome surrounds which filled any gaps nicely. It isn’t concourse but has held up well and unless you’re an e-type owner would not know that the covers were not original. Also I can flip back to open headlights quite easily without touching any bodywork or painting of the bonnet.

3 Likes

How are the rear view mirrors mounted on the bonnet ? Thru the gap between the panels where trim bead goes in ?

Thank you Marco

1 Like

Link to the Wahl site.
http://e-type-only.com/products/scheinwerferabdeckungen/

Yep…I had to flatten the screw threads (only in the section of the threads in between the bonnet panels as you still want full threads for the nut) to minimize the gap as much as possible and back up the locknut under the bonnet with a washer to spread the load evenly. It helps to loosen a few bonnet panel screws to widen the gap as you’re mounting the mirrors and then retighten once in place. Less chance of chipped paint that way than if trying to push the screws through. Best to have the loosened gap and slide the mirror’s mounting screws from the rear before retightening the panels. As with the covered headlights, I wanted to make it reversible in the event it didn’t work out…

The mirrors as positioned seem to adjust for rear/side viewing just fine, but then they are small mirrors and provide more of an indicator of movement on the sides than an actual view of who might be coming up. Actually pretty simple and sure beats drilling out the bonnet…

Good Luck! - Jim

I like mirrors in that location but could not drill a hole anywhere on the bonnet or body.
Do you have details on the those mirrors ? Can you post a close up of them.
PM please as I don’t want to highjack this topic…

Regards

installed the walsin kit and have been totally satisfied. And happy with the lighting at night also

Great looking! You’re route certainly would have been less expensive and probably easier than what I decided to do. I went with theMonocoque kit which is a bit pricey. In addition, I am in the process of redoing the right headlight opening because I had a difficult time making the metal inserts set the series 1 glass cover. I had to purchase another set for that opening and it was not cheap. I decided to go that route because I was having the car repainted and stripped and some minor dents repaired so I figured I might as well have it look like a series 1. I hope to have the car back from the shop in about a month. I have attached a couple of pictures of the work in progress.
image image image

Lucas had this diagram: