Cracked fog light glass (Was: I need help again)

I think I have the situation with the battery cleared up. I installed the cut off switch and now need to find the draw which I think is in the fog lights. AND speaking of fog lights…herein is the issue. I noticed the for light glass cover is cracked and I cannot find a replacement. It is Hella. I believe I they are original as they came with plastic covers with the Growler insignia. I can’t remember how to attach a picture as I have them to show what I need.
Could use some help again from the group.
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Hi Richard, on the top line there is an upward arrow, click on that and it will ask you to upload a photo from your weapon of choice (iPad,PC,iPhone) just give the unit time to complete the upload before posting.

Perfect…there it is!
Thanks!

I had a set of those on my XJ40 and they were always getting broken :frowning: I ended up getting replacements from a local Repco dealer mainly because I used to deal with the manager when I had a Midas franchise.
I think he pulled a few strings because they didn’t list the lens as a separate item.

Rick,
I had a similar crack in the clear Hella fog lamp lens in my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible and purchased a used lamp with good glass on eBay and replaced the cracked lens.

Paul

Ouch…I was afraid of this!

Hi.

I am trying to match the other one, but I find no model numbers on the glass.

By the way,it was a nice day out and I removed the cluster and replaced the bulbs that needed replacing…so I thought. I waited until dark and found everything but the tach light worked. I need to take it all apart and see why the tach bulb doesn’t work. Is there an easier way while the unit is out to cheque that bulb rather than wait until nightfall?
Please advise and thanks in advance,

Rick

Richard,

Use this link and you’ll find plenty…but not cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=jaguar+xjs+parts+hella+&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=10&_osacat=6028&_odkw=jaguar+xjs+parts

Rick,

The Red-White wire coming from the Lighting Rheostat provides power to all the instrument panel lighting through one of those two large connectors. With the instrument panel removed from the car you can I test that all the bulbs work by connecting a small 9 Volt battery to the flexiboard traces for the Red-White wire and a ground point on the back of the instrument panel with two test leads. I used this quick and easy method to check that all the bulbs worked while the instrument panel of my wife’s 1990 XJ-S convertible was still out of the car. The 9 Volt battery is enough to illuminate the bulbs and easier to handle than using a 12 Volt car battery. You will need to check the connectors to verify which pin/trace is for the Red-White wire.

Paul

image001.jpg

1 Like

Got it…thank you. I didn’t find it tough to remove the panel. ince we are under house arrest here in New York this is a good time to do this.

I think I might have found the culprit. Two of the sockets were very rusted and I plan to clean them up. Being under house arrest has its privileges.

1 Like
  1. So you saw the amperage draw on the battery was reduced when you pulled the fuse for the fog lights? Good find. But I don’t see how a rusty bulb socket can cause a short. It usually causes the opposite, no conductivity.
  2. New glass lens for those fog lights are easy to find on ebay.
  3. House arrest? Most of us are shelter in place. Do you have an ankle bracelet? What did you do? Arson?

Hi Paul.

Please do me a favour…When I took the bulbs off the paper you taped them to, I have no reference of which is which.

The C38966 is 1.2 watts, and the C43898 is 3 watts. I want to rebag them separately for protection, but I need to know which is which. One is large and one is small.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe this could help. For the 38966

Dimentions

10.5cm x 10.3cm x 5.1cm

For the 43898 next to a pennyC43898

Thanks Jim, but I am looking for sizes which Paul knows as he sent them to me.

I appreciate your time.

Rick

Are these the same size as the generic YELLOW ones

Yes, except this is clear.

Rick,
Here is a picture of the instrument panel bulbs to answer your question.

BTW, I recommend that you start a new thread each time you change the subject. This started out as a discussion of fog lamps but you changed subjects and we are now talking about instrument panel bulbs as well. Someone trying to follow this could easily get confused.

Paul

1 Like

And please take the time to write a relevant name for the topic when creating a new one.