Cracked steering wheel rim

This is probably heresy, but the one thing I don’t like about our beloved E-types is the thin large steering wheel. This is probably a result of driving modern sports cars that have narrow diameter but thick steering wheels. So on my 67 E-type I have a smaller diameter wooden Momo that looks just like the original wheel only it is thicker and does not flex in your hand. The Jaguar badge fits nicely in the middle and it looks pretty much stock. On previous E-types I’ve also used a Nardi.

Just noted another XK forum post from March this year, still doing excellent work by the looks of it:

Oops different guy……it is indeed nick Reeves
nfreeves@btinternet.com

You sure it’s not a Moto-Lita?

I’d be very surprised to learn that Momo ever made a wheel that “looks just like the original”

Im with ya: hate them.

Put a 15" Moto Lita on Tweety and it made all the difference.

1 Like

It was cracked in two spots. One was about 2/3 of circumstance and another about a quarter. It’s back in one piece and cleaned up back on the car. The glue is slow setting and can be cleaned up with a wet rag before it sets. But it’s semi waterproof
I kind of like this wheel. It’s the same one my dad used. But I’m going to keep my open for a 15-in wheel

1 Like

A friend I’d allowed to drive the E pressed hard against the wheel as he exited and bent it forward to the sounds of snap, crackle and pop.

I married two of my passions (fishing and woodworking) and used fly fishing line, specifically sinking line, for the repair. It’s very smooth so glue won’t stick to it, and it is strong and slightly elastic so you can achieve a high clamping force without snapping it.

2 Likes

The first pic is supposedly a 14” Moto-Lita wheel. It’s pretty darn close to a stock wheel save for one less hole in each spoke and the thicker rim. I inquired after not being able to configure one like it through their online ordering process. They said such a wheel would need to be custom made. I placed my order for the same but got the one in the second pic, which has an even thicker rim with visible laminations. The aluminum is also visible all the way around the inside and outside of the rim. There’s a night and day difference in rigidity when compared to my original, albeit cracked, steering wheel.

On my OTS, the far right unused switch that would control the rear window defroster controls the fuel pump, while the interior light switch is a fan override switch to turn on the electric cooling fans

Dennis

I rebuilt my original from my Series 2, it needs a home. Contact me if interested. Brian / Mytype

See the Moto Lita Steering Wheel thread.

Lots of suggestions on the steering wheel so I won’t add much except to say I bought the unfinished kit from British Autowood and finished it with spar varnish. Looks great and thicker/sturdier than the original. The kit was top quality.

Regarding your pedals, iirc the foot pads, or whatever they are called, unscrew from the long part that goes up into the pedal box. I took them off and then fabbed new ones out of 1/8" steel plate and drilled the holes so that both brake and clutch are offset away from the accelerator pedal giving more room for my feet. Not a difficult job at all and well worth the effort.

I’m interested. 435-704-1419

Hi Troy, the wheel is available for $395 plus postage. Get back to me with a yay or nay, best regards, Brian

Troy/Brian,

It isn’t necessary to publish your private contact information on the public forum. You can use the Private Message system to communicate with another member without doing so, whilst at the same time keeping private commercial transactions off the model-specific forums

To Private Message another member, simply left-click on their avatar (the circle with their initial or photo at the top left of any of their posts). A window will open up with a blue “Message” envelope at the top right. Click on that, and then compose a message to just that person. It will not appear on the public forum. When the targeted recipient logs on, they will see a notification (a dot by their own avatar at the top right of their screen), and when they click on it will see that they have a private message. The can click on that to open it, and reply. I hope this helps you conduct your private business away from the prying eyes of the public internet, while keeping the forum available for public discussions.

-David

2 Likes

To follow on from Davids post, there is also a strict ‘No selling’ policy in the type specific forums.

I am new to site. How do I PM you?

I would like info on fixing a crack in my wheel

Not really my bailiwick, but I am sure others will chime in here!

To do a PM, click on the person’s avatar (the circle in which their initial or picture is) and that will pop up a button to send a PM.

Welcome David. I wrote a description of how to Private Message in post #34 of this thread - just up a couple of posts. As a new member, this facility may not be available to you until you’ve been around a while - I’m not sure of that, but certainly some features are not immediately available to newcomers. Try it and see.