Crankshaft removal 420G 1969

Can anyone advise me to how I can remove the crankshaft on my 4.2 engine from a 420G? The ‘rear seal plate’ is fastened by tre hex screws, 2 came out easily, the third is blocked by the endplate on the crank. There is not enough movement to clear the screw or the two dowels that position the ‘plate’, hence the crankshaft won’t come off. Everything else is loosened and removed. Help, tips and tricks appreciated.

I cannot see from your picture, but most often when people ask this question, it is because they cannot see to remove the Allen head fasteners that are covered in grease and you need to access them from the top

have a very close look for recessed allen heads that have to be removed vertically from the crankshaft rear retaining collar

Does this help?

Has the lower cam chain been removed? If so the crank lifts straight up and out, and the the upper seal carrier can be fully unscrewed.

Have you seen the photos? The chain is off. It’s about the rope seal retainer at the other end and the two bolts that connect the halves that everyone would struggle with if it wasn’t brought up so often.
Welcome Christian.

Ah yes, I didn’t noticed that the lower (at this moment upper) seal carrier is still attached as it’s kind of dark.

Christian, in case it isn’t already clear, there are two bolts currently pointed up that must be removed from below because as they’re holding the two halves of the seal carrier together. You might need to experiment with wrenches or Allen sockets in order to fit one in there behind the crankshaft flange. Spray with some WD40 to clean off the grime covering them.

Welcome to the Forum with your 420G.
I have several and I like to drive them more than my Es and XKs. A totally underrated car. I hope that yours has a well preserved interior and rust free body.
VIN?
Pictures?
Location?

Thanks all, I have been looking for the two bolts holding the lower and upper halves together but I cannot find them. To me it seems the carrier is one solid unit. I’ll have another look tomorrow, with a magnifying glass and better lightning.

Thanks Peder, I’m in Oslo, Norway. You?
The engine is from a 420G I bought for spares many years ago. That car is no longer with us.
I have another one, complete but it has been standing for quite some time and needs a lot of care and elbow grease to get back on the road. One day…

they are very hard to find, as I mentioned earlier they are recessed allen heads, and will be filled in with grease and dirt, and invisible till you dig around with a screwdriver and degreaser

excerpt from relevant FSM

Did you miss these screws?

1 Like

However embarrassing it may be to admit it… yes. Thank you Mike. Tomorrow I will know for sure.

Small screwdriver and dig through the grease and oil!

I reckon anyone who has had to remove a Jag crank has been initially stumped by these (I admit I was) … It’s amazing how well the grease and muck conceals these…

You only ever find them when you know they are there. Remember the orientation of the lower half.

I too knew they were there and it still took me a minute.

Lo and behold. Here’s the culprit. Thank you all. The crank is out. Oh happy days!

3 Likes