Crash Roll Vent Repair

(davelloyd) #1

As is normal some of the plastic pins had broken off the back of the vents.

Found some thin sheet brass and 1/8 brazing rod and made this -

vent

Glued it to the back of the vent with epoxy -

And fitted it, works great-

Dave

(Aristides Balanos) #2

Very cool and smart indeed !
Best,
Aristides

(Paul Breen pay palled it) #3

Can appreciate good, patient work! Paul

(davelloyd) #4

Thanks,

Just got the other one to do, somewhat tedious.

Patience is a virtue as my granddad told me :smile: )

Dave

(Paul M. Novak) #5

Dave,

Very nice. I appreciate good work when I see it. Unfortunately, I don’t have your tools or expertise, so I have used a different low tech technique to secure crash roll vents in my three Series III saloons. I removed the crash roll, cleaned off the surfaces of the crash roll and vents (all had broken pins) and then used silicone sealant to fasten them in place. I used a bungee cord with a weight on the end of it to apply pressure to the vents as the sealant cured. I have done this to all three of my Series III saloons (6 vents) and they are all holding up after several years of use. The vents sit flush with the surface, there is no silicone visible, and the vents haven’t budged. The attached pictures show some of the details.

I only wish I had your skills. But this was what worked for me.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas
1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible
1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas
1969 E-Type FHC
1957 MK VIII Saloon
Ramona, CA USA

(Jochen Glöckner) #6

Dave,

this is as beautiful as polished triple Weber carbs!

How did you cut the brass sheet? Did you fix it on wood to avoid bending?

Though much less elegant - wouldn’t it work to just cut the corners of the brass sheet to fix the pins on and then glue these corners on? One way or the other - way better than fixing the vents with contact cement (that’s what I did:-().

Great work!

Jochen

75 XJ6L (UK spec.)

(davelloyd) #7

Thanks for the compliments.

One advantage of working in the trades I suppose is that as a carpenter you get to see other trades such as plumbers and sheet metal workers and can sort of pick up handy things from them such as soldering etc.

You also get to pick up all sorts of off-cuts of sheet metal, pipe, pipe insulation nuts and bolts, self tappers strewn about the job and I have a habit of picking up anything that looks useful. Don’t know where I had the brass sheet from but it just looked handy…years ago.

I cut the sheet with a monodex cutter -

After cutting I clamped it between 2 pieces of wood in a vice to file it to the exact size.

You could just do the four corners but I feel it would be extremely difficult to position the pins accurately and the do need to be pretty precise.

I clamped the brass over the hole in the dash and spotted the brass with a 1/8" drill through the plastic sockets from the underside of the dash. Drilled the holes in the brass with a 1/16" drill, turned a small spigot on the end of the brass pins to locate them and soldered them in. Just used plumber’s soft solder and it’s just about strong enough. Would have used silver solder if I had had some.

Dave

(Jochen Glöckner) #8

Just great and reason to be proud!

Thanks for the instructions

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

(Robert Wilkinson) #9

Dave–Agreed! Very cool and meticulous work. That ploughed piece of white pine should have tipped us off about your occupation. I presume that you are a high-end finish carpenter…or you should be.

(Mark Lee (Pay Pal Patron)) #10

Nicely done! I’ve got some of those to repair too.

(davelloyd) #11

I wouldn’t say I’m a high end carpenter although I have done that type of work when it’s been available.

I hope that my ideas for a fix have benn a help to others.

Dave

(David Judd) #12

On the subject of the crash roll does anyone have experience in recovering the entire crash roll? Mine is badly cracked and split. Good examples seem very dear on eBay.

(Aristides Balanos) #13

I have done quite a few upholstery jobs and I think that this one would be an easy one, a flat surface with no weird bends and crevasses.
The most important and difficult job will be to repair and fill the cracks so you have an absolutely flat surface underneath.
Aristides

(Jochen Glöckner) #14

David,

I just sold one at a very low price - next to perfect:-(. What do you need? SI, II or SIII? I still have some around - they are just awkward to mail …

Best

Jochen

(David Judd) #15

Jochen,

Where are you located?

(Carl Hutchins, Jr. ) #16

Aye, very nice work. In my former career, I got to learn from various crafts. But, never to their skill levels.

Early on in my Jaguar “career” I decide to fix the awful front vent. The one at the base of the front wind screen. The "chrome was peeling away from the yellow plastic. Very unjaguar like !!

I managed to remove it and not bust the skinny plastic pin!!! Avast, only one there. The other never there. No imprint in the mastic in which they were bedded.

I scraped off most of the peeled “chrome”. I though I was repainting in “rattle can” silver that emulated chrome. Nope, more like a raw alloy casting. Hmm, not bad. A h… of a lot better than it was!!! Were I to do it again, not likely, flat black would be better. Glare and matching the wipers !!!

I found a coupe of tiny screws in my odd lot tray. Shafts about about the size of the plastic pins. Using a teeny drill bit and my Dremel knock off I drilled holes where the pins were. I snipped the remaining one off. Ran in the screws. Sniped off the heads.
Back in place and secure.

My favorite word, “done”!!!

!!! phone rang!!! The fake MS tech scammer. I told him no deal. He used a couple of well known curse words. I dug up a couple in response !!!

Carl

(David Jauch) #17

In Europe. I’d want one, Jochen, but there is so much more to attend to before I can allow myself to think about these items - on the other hand, should you really have to get rid of a nice S3 piece I’d gladly pick one up…

David

(Jochen Glöckner) #18

Sorry David (Judd),

I’m located in Germany - and so is the crash roll. International postage is fairly prohibitive for such a bulky item.

But, yes, I think I’ve still got two left. The best one I had for a SIII went on eBay for 1 EUR:-(.

I’ve still got one poorer SII part and a very good SIII part. If you need one, David (Jauch), just let me know - it’s about two hours work, but the result is very satisfying, if your old part is torn and ratty. Still you might wish to pick it up when you’re around anyhow.

Best

Jochen

(David Jauch) #19

What a shame! Someone must have been very happy about that ebay find (I know who would’ve been). I would like to pick it up in spring if you don’t mind. Mine has an ugly crack… so I need one, yes. :slightly_smiling_face:
Thank you!

David

(David Jauch) #20

For US you might inquire at everydayxj.com or ask for somebody who’s parting out a car. Rewrapping is also possible but a lot of effort…
@Cadjag1 - The panel between the wipers is made of some pot metal which I know from carefully pulling it off, snapping a pin in the process… I used a small drill bit and put in a snapped of nail. Flat black might look cheap, depending on the body color, I’d also like aluminium paint but that would look off too… difficult. If it looked like a raw alloy casting something must’ve gone wrong though.
Finally, @Jochen_Glockner - I’ll be in the Constance area Sun-Tue so I could drop by if it suits you. If so, PM me when and where it’s best for you, I might bring the tatty XJ if they don’t salt the roads too much. Alternatively Uni would also work well. Let me know.

David